diesel exhaust below water when underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M

The previous owner of my Lancer 25 added an inboard Yanmar 1GM10, and ran the exhaust pipe out over the cockpit/lazarette drain pipe that exits the transom. I recently replaced the original exhaust "hose" which was PVC pipe and melting. I added a higher bend in the hose to keep water from washing back to the engine, although now water builds some, then exits every few seconds in big spurts. A good mechanic told me that is not a problem.

When the boat is underway, by either sail or power, the exhaust pipe exit in the transom is actually just below the water. Is this bad?

Also I've had a hard time starting the engine coming back in since this was done.If it doesn't start at first I close the raw water intake seacocks (2!) and it (so far) starts then. The mechanic is adding a muffler to check any backwash of water to the engine. Any thoughts on any of this? The engine is in good shape, only 300 hours and I replaced the impeller and added a new alternator and cranking battery.
I was not able to speak with the prior owner, but I know the boat stayed at the dock for the last couple years. ANy thoughts?

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
On my S2

My exhaust is essentially underwater too while underway. The exhaust port is under the stern just above the painted water line on the starboard side, if I recall correctly.

There is a water muffler and the exhaust is routed to prevent back flow.

There are pluses and minuses to the location. A plus is that any particulates go right into the water, which should reduce any transom "mustache," which I often hear others complain of. On the minus side, it makes it difficult to see how much water flow I am obtaining at a given time and what color my exhaust is (for diagnosing problems).

Status
Not open for further replies.