diesel engines

Aug 24, 2013
cal 25 Weymouth
I'm looking for a diesel for my cal 34 and want to know if a two cylinder will have enough power for the boat or do I need a three cylinder engine.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hi,

What was there before? An A4? If so, it has a prop that was designed for that engine (30 hp, IIRC). Any diesel will have a different transmission ratio and require a re-prop, too. Some A4 skippers installed a better prop, but astill won't work with a diesel.

Fresh or salt water? Freshwater cooled or raw water cooled?

Do you have an engine in mind, or two?

Our 34 footer has a 21 hp, 3 cylinder Universal (Kubota block), freshwater cooled (i.e., heat exchanger). Later models has 23 then 30 hp engines, 3 cylinder, then four.

Where do you intend to sail? Lakes would get away with two, but anywhere else you'd need at least three.

The Cal 34 is a heavy boat.

We need more info to help you out.

Good luck, get back to us.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
this is posted more for perspective about HP requirements than what engine you should consider..

most of the Cal 34-III models had the westerbeke 4-91, later called the model 30, diesel installed in them.... which apparently is a modified/marinized british-leyland engine... the engine is designed to develop 30hp, but when westerbeke marinized it, he lowered the max RPM for longevity, and so it only develops 25hp.... and 25hp is plenty of power to push a 34-III it anywhere, which is a bit heavier than the 34.

I have motored ours in some fairly high head winds (50mph) wind while pushing against against river current . so unless you are motoring a lot in extreme conditions, I would think 18-20hp would get you by....

the westerbeke 4-91 or 30 is not available any longer as a new unit... depending on what engine was originally installed, as Stu asked, there are some engines built that may fit directly in its bed with very little changes that would have to be made.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The Beta guys can work with you to supply an engine with same footprint as the old one.. They use a Kubota block and seem to have a bunch of happy customers.. 20 HP and above is OK .. 25-30 would be fine.. according to space in engine box and cost.. http://www.betamarinenc.com/index.php?Itemid=473
I don't have any connection with Beta..

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Horsepower, not number of cylinders. 25hp would be good, as mentioned above you can't go wrong with a Beta. Stay away from Volvo or Westerbeke, they'll bankrupt you for parts.