Did the 30 come with roller furler?

Dec 29, 2020
Catalina 30 Berkeley
Our yacht club gives a PHRF handicap bonus to boats with a roller furler that was not standard equipment for the boat. I'm pretty sure that is true for the 30, but they need "proof," whatever that means. Can anyone think of somewhere I could find something that clearly demonstrates the boat did not come with a roller furler? (Or maybe I'm wrong.)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We have several C30 in our marina, but I've never seen one without a roller

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Depending on the year/mk (yours is....?) roller furling was either not offered at the factory (but could have been a dealer install,) or a factory option (again could alternately have been a dealer install,) or standard from the factory.

My mk-II must have been a dealer, not factory install roller (dual track foil,) because the PO had the forestay.

If you want info on a particular year I’d cross post on the official IC30A forum where we have 1600+ experts ranging across every model and configuration.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Don't trouble yourself, the model year of a Catalina 30 is irrelevant for PHRF ratings from YRA.org, which is the rating authority for Northern California.

Just fill out the form with the data about your boat. The YRA PHRF rating committee will handle all the adjustments for you if you fill out the form.

There's a base rating for all Catalina 30's to which adjustments are made for different gear. The base rating for your boat from yra.org is pasted below from the website. The rating committee will apply adjustments for sail configuration to that base.

Catalina 30 180
Catalina 30 BS 177
Catalina 30 TM 177
Catalina 30 TM BS 174

For a roller furling jib tacked to the top of a drum with the entire drum above the deck , the rating commitee will give you +3 seconds compared to a hank on jib.

See http://yra.org/northern-california-phrf/ncphrf-ratings/ for a comprehensive listing of info about Northern California PHRF ratings and PHRF certificates.

See http://www.yra.org/PHRF/docs/ncphrf_rules_and_guidelines.pdf for an explanation of how the rules are applied and the rating adjustments they apply for all common modifications.