Did I once read that there is a Hunter engineer that looks at this site for engineering questions.

Dec 18, 2016
Hunter 306 ft lauderdale
Sir, can you tell me what could be the possible cause of a very small amount of water intrusion just where the most aft wood veneer bulkhead is on the starboard side of the boat in the aft berthing. it has a shelf attached to it running forward and aft. it appears just where the bulkhead attaches there was a small leak. I have looked at the deck rigging above ie cleats, stantions above it in the cockpit. any ideas please. i looked with bright light but there is the waste tank right there and do not want to remove if possible. also looked at the pedestal etc more inboard.
thank you

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Don't know if there is a Catalina Engineer or factory expert here on SBO. This may be more an answer that can be provided by Catalina owners either on this site or on another Catalina specific site. Good luck tracing it down.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
I'm struggling with a similar leak on my Hunter 35.5 and have looked at similar sources. Another 35.5 owner told me that he found the source on his boat where the aft stays were attached. My fall winterizing activity is to try butyl tape there to see if it stops the leak.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Sir, can you tell me what could be the possible cause of a very small amount of water intrusion just where the most aft wood veneer bulkhead is on the starboard side of the boat in the aft berthing. it has a shelf attached to it running forward and aft. it appears just where the bulkhead attaches there was a small leak. I have looked at the deck rigging above ie cleats, stantions above it in the cockpit. any ideas please. i looked with bright light but there is the waste tank right there and do not want to remove if possible. also looked at the pedestal etc more inboard.
thank you
The first question to answer is the water fresh or salt?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tom please excuse my confusion. Your bio say you sail a Catalina but your query is about a Hunter.

Regarding this sight, the former head of Hunter service is now the owner. You can reach him through the store and he sells consulting time there for especially difficult issues. You might send PM to @Dave Groshong to inquire about this service.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Eddie, who was the lead at Hunter Customer several years ago, used to. Whether they still do?

About a year after we purchased our 1991 P42 in 2002, the original Heart Interface 1600 watt inverter/charger started acting up. Figuring it was reaching the end of its life, I posted an article on this site about my plan to replace it with an Xantrex Freedom 20 and did anyone have suggestions. Out of the blue Eddie provides a reply offering his recommendation to replace it with a Freedom 25. He said it would be a better unit for our boat's system than the Freedom 20. I took his advice and just happened to find a lone refurbished unit on the Xantrex online store for less than half the new list price. Did the install myself in 2003 and the unit continues to perk along like the champ that it is.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Eddie Breeden is retired who headed Hunter warranty and is not on this site. A former employee who started his way at Hunter name Al building boats now owns SBO. He is available for a fee and well worth his experience. Warren Luhrs, owner of Hunter, is deceased.

For deckside leaks if you can tell it is fresh water, Close all windows and hatches sealing hatch edges with tape. Cover the entire companionway with a plastic cover but putting a cut in it to put a leaf blower into the cut. Tape over it. Turn it on to pressurize the cabin. Have someone else brushing every topsides with soapy water and where you see air bubbling out there you will find leaks. An old marine yard trick. Works on the rub rail as well