Dicey Splicey

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
Hey all. Rather new to line splicing, but attempting an eye-splice for my new double braid halyard line. To make things more interesting and difficult, I would like to include a thimble and a snap shackle within the thimble in the eye-splice. So really trying to add both the thimble and shackle to the eye-splice process. The thimble inclusion looks pretty straightforward, but not to sure how I'm adding the snap shackel that will be attached to the thimble. Any guidance appreciated. Best. Captain Tom.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Work the thimble onto the snap shackle then splice it on the line. I’ve done similar eye splicing on objects reducing the number of stainless shackles needed to make connections.

Aug 16, 2015
O'Day 28 Salem, MA
Thanks. So bale of shackle into thimble, and then run core segment through thimble piece? Seems like bale would need to be threaded? T.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Jtcf78911
Lets consider your rigging. You have a Halyard (Main sail or Jib/Genoa) that you want to make easier to connect and remove from the sail.

You are considering a "Snap Shackle". Like this?
1615737727347.png

Are you concerned about the risk of these shackles snagging and the sail pulling loose from the halyard allowing the sail to fall and depower the boat?

Mainsail halyards are usually attached to the sail with something like this...
1615737925346.png or this 1615737987522.png

These are generally tied directly to the halyard using a halyard knot (Halyard Hitch) so that the connection remains secure till you remove the halyard. No need for a thimble as there is little or no chafe movement. Additionally this allows you to raise the sail another couple of inches before the sheave blocks the line and thimble from jamming in the mast.

These above main sail rigging techniques are good for taking your boat out into open ocean or day sailing on a nearby lake.

If I have misunderstood your intent please provide a bit more info regarding what you are trying to accomplish.