Diagnosing a problem with the shower pump

Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
On my B343, the shower pump has worked just fine in the time I’ve owned the boat. I don’t use it often, really just to empty out the water after cleaning the head.

This week, I did the cleaning and the pump went on and no water drained.

I managed to empty it by removing the cover to the drain and pulling up the pipe. the water went to the bilge where it typically doesn’t go and I could get rid of it by turning on the main bilge Pump.

How do I go about diagnosing what I hope Is nothing more than a clogged drain? Where is the actual pump? I’ve owned the boat for several years and have never had to think about this until this week. I have the original manuals which haven’t been a lot of help for this problem.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Dave,
I replaced the impeller on the Whale “gulper” model pump a few years ago.
Pump is located in the lavatory cabinet in the head compartment. The rebuild kit was available at Defender Marine for a reasonable cost. Seems to me that if the pump is running and there is no blockage in the drain line, then the pump impeller is suspect. Put a water hose under full pressure to blow out the drain line; if all clear, then replace the pump impeller.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
You have a strainer right before the pump that needs to be cleaned. Turn on the pump and follow the noise.

greg

Jul 13, 2009
Parker Skipjack 37 Clearwater
I had same problem on my B41S5 . The diaphram pump ran but no pumpy. Finally discovered that prior owner cleaned the pumpguard but didnt relpace the rubber gasket --letting air into the suction line.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Look. at the “filter” screen on the pump intake. That could be clogged and is easily cleaned.
The pump in my 323 happens to be a ShurFlo. Based on what BigEasy wrote his 343 has a Whale pump for the shower. The difference may just be sourcing at the time the boats were built.

Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
I ended up snaking out the hose between the pump and the through hull. I was extremely careful about this as the last thing i wanted to do was to puncture it. It is now emptying properly.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019
Beneteau First 36.7 Marina Village, Alameda
I had a similar problem. After confirming the lines and strainers were clear, the diaphragm pump would run faithfully but not produce suction. I ordered a rebuilt kits and rebuilt it. Still no joy. Turned out he upper diaphragm housing had bowed slightly allowing air to intrude the line. Rather than replace the diaphragm housing, I sealed the housing halfs with 5200. Has worked since, but probably is not rebuild-able again.