Detroit River transport

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Planning trip upriver from Detroit light to Jefferson Beach (Safe Harbor) Marina on Lake St Clair. Anybody have an ideal on the water distance. Any tips?

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
I don't know the distance off hand, but we routinely make the trip from NCYC/TBM (by Monroe, MI) to Bayview YC at the north end of Belle Isle. We normally leave around 7 a.m. and get to Bayview around 4 p.m.

Taking the down bound Livingston Channel just north of the Detroit River Light saves a bit of time heading north. Also, much less power boat wake if you don't do the trip on a weekend.

Watch out for freighters coming up behind - they are very fast and very quiet. Enjoy the view of the park and sculptures in Windsor - not so much the steel plants around Zug Island.

If you don't stop in Canadian waters in transit you do NOT need to check in with Canadian Customs.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I measure about 36 NM on the chart. But, it it is slow going against the Detroit River. I would allow ten hours or so for that trip.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
tip, stay to the inside of the radius of every turn of the channel of the detroit river system and you will shave a good hour off your time upstream. stay near the edge of the channel and you will have no 'right of way issues'. the speed limit for the ships is 10 mph. the fine was/is 5,000.00 for every tenth over that speed. that is over the bottom speed. you will be under 4 mph average. the current is stronger in the middle of the channel so work the sides.

going down stream you will be going over 9 but the ships will still be going 10 over the bottom. stay towards the middle of the channel unless there is traffic.

the livingston channel is shorter distance.

motorsail if you can of course.

tip, as ships pass, they will push you away at their bow and suck you in at their stern.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I can show you a couple of screenshots of our track (via Inreach) up the Detroit River last season the day we headed from Middle Bass to Lake St. Clair. We sailed some of the the way across to the river until the wind died and motored the rest of the way. Actually surprised the average speed was as high as it was. This was on a Catalina 350.

Screenshot 2021-05-10 10.29.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-05-10 10.47.23 AM.png

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
We were planning a similar trip for this season but were advised that the Canadian border is closed due to COVID. You’ll have to cross the border to get past Belle Isle. Supposedly, even crossing without stopping or landing is prohibited. I can’t swear to the accuracy of this but don’t plan on finding out the hard way.

ragman

Jan 25, 2008
pearson 32 ford yacht club
We were planning a similar trip for this season but were advised that the Canadian border is closed due to COVID. You’ll have to cross the border to get past Belle Isle. Supposedly, even crossing without stopping or landing is prohibited. I can’t swear to the accuracy of this but don’t plan on finding out the hard way.
If traveling from point A to point B without stopping, you are allowed. If from point A to point A, day sailing, than no.

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI