Designer's Choice 15 Howmar

Aug 30, 2026
1
howmar dc 15 greenport
Hello, I just got a
Designer's Choice 15. Ugrade for sunfish, existing to use a job.

looking for pdf of manual? For rig.

thank you
 
Feb 21, 2008
421
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
OMG. I just saw this post. My first boat, I had bought a Howmar DC 15, probably in the '80's, in Edison, NJ. Sailed it for years in Barnegat Bay, the Jersey reservoirs, and Lake George, NY. I had no idea it was such a limited production boat. It was sold to me with the 'story' that it had been used by the US Olympic team as a trainer. Sold it in the early 2000's. What a fun boat! Great memory. Thanks.
 
Jun 9, 2008
1,853
- -- -Bayfield
Peeps who used to work with Sunfish, if I remember correctly, decided to design a boat similar, but better than the Sunfish - hence the Homar company was created. The upgrade from the Sunfish was called the Phantom (LOA 14' 1-1/2") and not the Designer's Choice. The Phantom was a bit longer, more buoyant and had some upgraded design features. One was that the foot well had smooth corners so that no water was trapped in the footwell when tipped sideways or over. If you remember, the Sunfish had a foot well with a 360 degree lip on it which kept water from escaping from the well. That lip also dug into the back of your leg, so when the smooth Phantom footwell was developed, it was comfortable on the back of the leg. Secondly, the hull to deck joint was such that the gunwale on the Homar boat had an external joint so that it created a hand-hold while the Sunfish hull to deck joint was flush (shoebox) and really no way to hold on like the Phantom when heeled. I don't have anything on the Homar DC, but I do have the original brochure for the Phantom.