descissions, descissions, descissions

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I have never owned an electronic chart plotter for my boat... I have always sailed boat under 30' on lakes in my home area... I have recently purchased a 1971 Morgan 35' sailboat... she is a wonderful boat, beautiful lines, roomy inside... I plan to sail her to many new exotic locations...

the descission facing me now is, should I go with a garmin gpsmap chart plotter, a tablet with sea clear II, or just my laptop with sea clear... I have sea clear II on my laptop now, but am hesitant to place it in the cockpit when I am sailing... I do not want it to get wet, which is why I am looking at a garmin or tablet to use in the cockpit...

I am looking for suggestions or experienced recommendations with this...

thank you for your help

sincerely
Jess

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Don't know what a "descission" is but it rains in most places which obviates the laptop option. Of the remaining two, I find the dedicated plotter, integrated with the other nav aides, much more convenient.

Jan 11, 2007
Columbia 28 Sarasota
I suggest a garmin old style 4or5 series. Easy to use, easy to install and in my opinion the best charts on the market. They are being discontinued now and are very aggressively priced right now. If you choose an S model you have the ability to add a transducer to it .

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
seaclear on a laptop is a great tool, but it's not a chart plotter for use under way or in the middle of a storm.

Upload/download routes and waypoints from your laptop if you want, but use a dedicated piece of hardware that can survive in all weather that your boat will be exposed in, and hardwired to the electrical system (aka not a handheld off AA batteries). I have a Garmin 540s, and have the depth alarm off the transducer wired to an extra alarm klaxon near the companionway that works great to wake me up in case an anchor drag alarm goes off, or I suddenly get somewhere shallow and need it to get my attention quickly...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
GPS Choices

Jess,

The general consensus on the many boating forums I regularly visit come to this:

1. Laptops are great planning tools, lousy in the cockpit, too big and can get wet, most don't have internal GPS, so you have both a laptop & a GPS dongle sitting out there.

2. iP are great for cheap software, don't have wired connectivity to other devices, poor daylight viewing and aren't waterproof (although you can get cases)

3. Chartplotters are made for one thing, which is exactly what you want. That said, you have 12V boat system larger screens and handhelds. I've said it before, and most likely will get to do it again ;), 'cuz for some new boaters they don't understand the difference. IMHO, a basic handheld GPS with charts on it, which almost ALL OF THEM HAVE TODAY, IS simply a small chartplotter - same info.

Your boat, your choice, but I have found our handheld works just great unless your eyesight needs a 42" widescreen...:)

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

well with that question solved, it raises a new question... which gpsmap chartplotter is suggested or best for in the cockpit to use ?... I would like something that can have maps and charts added to it, is easy to use, has ample storage internally, and is rugged enough for the boat ?... it would be nice if it has anchor drag alarm, shallow alarm, and plenty of waypoint markers...

sincerely
Jess

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Go over to the chandlery and let them demo the units for you.... a basic handheld has all the features you mention... so it only comes down to how much you want to spend If I were you I'd get an entry level handheld like the Garmin 78sc gps/chartplotter... it includes "•Built-in BlueChart g2 U.S./Bahamas coastal charts with shorelines, depth contours, navaids, harbors, marinas, and more" http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP...sr_1_3?s=marine&ie=UTF8&qid=1401267053&sr=1-3

Oh, and don't forget to get one with a spellchecker... hee, hee.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
hello all

well with that question solved, it raises a new question... which gpsmap chartplotter is suggested or best for in the cockpit to use ?... I would like something that can have maps and charts added to it, is easy to use, has ample storage internally, and is rugged enough for the boat ?... it would be nice if it has anchor drag alarm, shallow alarm, and plenty of waypoint markers...

sincerely
Jess
You cannot go wrong wih the previous suggestion of the gpsmap 500 series with the "s" models that support the sonar transducer, or for a few more dollars any unit that supersceeded them... Don't let the salesman fool you, big or high resolution screens are nice, bit they are not a requirement for the unit to do a good job.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I bought myself a Garmin for the boat... I bought a Garmin GPSMap 176c... it comes with everything needed to set it up on the boat... when it gets here I will check it out and see what marine maps I will need and start looking for them...

thanks for every ones help and advice... it was mentioned before, it doesn't have to have the huge screen, but I think this one is big enough for me...

again thanks for all the help

sincerely
Jess

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
hello all

I bought myself a Garmin for the boat... I bought a Garmin GPSMap 176c... it comes with everything needed to set it up on the boat... when it gets here I will check it out and see what marine maps I will need and start looking for them...

thanks for every ones help and advice... it was mentioned before, it doesn't have to have the huge screen, but I think this one is big enough for me...

again thanks for all the help

sincerely
Jess
Jess, that's the one I have. I love it. I use it all the time, especially for fishing in the Louisiana marshes where it's very easy to get lost. The chart I have, the g2Vison for the US, isn't quite up to date though, as far as where I fish, and sometimes it shows me going over land, but that's more a function of the rapidly changing Louisiana marsh.

I did use it in the Florida Keys, and it was great, and up to date.

I will say that if I had to do it again, I'd get the 178, the next model up. More versatility with making your own charts to use, for example by downloading a Google map into the gps unit. So if you can return it and upgrade, I'd do that. Otherwise, no worries. I think you'll be very happy with the 176c.

Feb 26, 2004
176c

Jess, I'm confused. You bought a unit that is at the point of being discontinued (the 176 b&w has been) and requires you to spend extra $$ for navigation charts, since the Garmin website appears to show only highway maps coming with the base unit, plus it appears to require an external antenna not included. Am I missing something? You might want to reconsider, and select another model. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but please take another look.

Jan 11, 2007
Columbia 28 Sarasota
Yes it has been discontinued for quite some time. It's an adequate unit but an unwise purchase unless you paid around $50 for it

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Jess,

The general consensus on the many boating forums I regularly visit come to this:

1. Laptops are great planning tools, lousy in the cockpit, too big and can get wet, most don't have internal GPS, so you have both a laptop & a GPS dongle sitting out there.

2. iP are great for cheap software, don't have wired connectivity to other devices, poor daylight viewing and aren't waterproof (although you can get cases)

3. Chartplotters are made for one thing, which is exactly what you want. That said, you have 12V boat system larger screens and handhelds. I've said it before, and most likely will get to do it again ;), 'cuz for some new boaters they don't understand the difference. IMHO, a basic handheld GPS with charts on it, which almost ALL OF THEM HAVE TODAY, IS simply a small chartplotter - same info.

Your boat, your choice, but I have found our handheld works just great unless your eyesight needs a 42" widescreen...:)
Posting Stu one more time, 'cause it so right on - a handheld charting GPS will take you anywhere you need to go for now - and when you upgrade, it will be your backup. Built to IP7 protection standards they can take that bounce across the deck, or day in the rain. I like the Garmin handhelds.

Jul 28, 2010
Jess, I'm confused. You bought a unit that is at the point of being discontinued (the 176 b&w has been) and requires you to spend extra $$ for navigation charts, since the Garmin website appears to show only highway maps coming with the base unit, plus it appears to require an external antenna not included. Am I missing something? You might want to reconsider, and select another model. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but please take another look.
Stu, the 176c does not have or need an external antenna. I got mine from WM just before it was discontinued for $150 which included the g2 chart. (The chart alone goes for $99.) No, the gps is not the best or newest, but it kinda depends on what one's needs are. Like I said, it has been great for me, sailing or fishing.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thanks for your advice... I got the garmin gpsmap 176c with all the attachments and blue water maps installed for a very good price... I am on a shoe string budget right now.... and the shoe string budget is almost down to 1 thread... I am moving in a month or so (moving expenses) from Indiana to Florida... in July I am headed to china to be with me wife for 3 weeks... plus I need to move my 1971 Morgan 35' from Chesapeake bay area to florida where I will be living... I have a lot going on right now and cannot afford a big fancy chartplotter... everything I have heard about the garmin gpsmap 176c is very good... I am sure it will be very good for me... as long as I can get the maps I need for it, I will be using it a lot...

again thank you all for your advice and help

sincerely
Jess

Oct 6, 2011
MacGregor 17.5 New Smyrna Beach
Chesapeake Bay to Florida?

Greetings trainmanjess - First I was curious about the handheld gps suggestions (soon I will need one), your post about "moving" your boat caught my eye. As a rookie sailor, yet a seasoned river rat, I would relish an opportunity to join up with you up north, and assist on your trip back down here to Florida. I reside in New Smyrna Beach. This is a shot in the dark, and for all I know, you may be "moving" by trailer. Please consider the idea. Not looking to be paid, just to learn more by doing!

Truly this would be a special opportunity for me, and could possibly fit into your plans...

Appreciate the consideration. Over.

Curt

re
hello all

thanks for your advice... I got the garmin gpsmap 176c with all the attachments and blue water maps installed for a very good price... I am on a shoe string budget right now.... and the shoe string budget is almost down to 1 thread... I am moving in a month or so (moving expenses) from Indiana to Florida... in July I am headed to china to be with me wife for 3 weeks... plus I need to move my 1971 Morgan 35' from Chesapeake bay area to florida where I will be living... I have a lot going on right now and cannot afford a big fancy chartplotter... everything I have heard about the garmin gpsmap 176c is very good... I am sure it will be very good for me... as long as I can get the maps I need for it, I will be using it a lot...

again thank you all for your advice and help

sincerely
Jess

Jul 28, 2010
I think you'll be very happy with it, Jess. By the way, I think this is the cahrt you'll want. It's what I have, and it's pretty good. If you want a narrower coverage, you might be able to find one.

Garmin Bluechart G2 - HXUS039R

Saw it on-line for as little as $106.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

Curt - it is a 35' Morgan... not trailering it.... going to sail it south to Florida where I will be living... if everything works out right, you are welcome to come along to help... hoping to have 2 weeks for the sail of about 1200 NMiles down... my best friend in Virginia doesn't do boats, his hobby is planes....

everyone else - the Garmin 176c has had a lot of good reviews by a lot of people, and it was within my budget... going to be using it for a long time... this move and my vacation will empty my bank accounts for a long time of extra spending money...

thanks again for the advise and help

sincerely
Jess

Feb 26, 2004
Glad you like it and it works for you. That external antenna bit I wrote was from the Garmin website, I didn't make it up! :)