Descaling Yanmar 2GM

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 33 salem
I want to descale our 2GM. I can see lots of deposits inside the motor when I pull the thermostat.

Anyone don this? What do you use and how do you do it.

I am making a few assumptions like keep any costic liquids away from the pumps and exhaust....

All info is most apreciated.

Thanks

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The de-scaler that is most popular is Barnacle Buster.
It is caustic. I assume it's an acid.
I have never used it. You should go to their website for more information.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I once used muriatic acid to descale my old YSB-12. Don't leave it in very long, less than five minutes I would guess, as it will eat metal. Flush it out completely and you should see a bunch of debris come out the exhaust. I've never used Barnacle Buster but am assuming it is an acid, also. The acid reacts with the calcium in the scale and dissolves it quickly. Use eye protection and don't get it on ya'.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I want to descale our 2GM. I can see lots of deposits inside the motor when I pull the thermostat.

Anyone don this? What do you use and how do you do it.

I am making a few assumptions like keep any costic liquids away from the pumps and exhaust....

All info is most apreciated.

Thanks
This might help a little.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
What you are seeing inside your Yanmar ENGINE BLOCK are likely the metallic products of corrosion which have been corroded from one location and deposited in other locations. These deposits are not the sea water scale referred to in the Practical Sailor article above. Those are most commonly caused by salt water. Sea water scale as opposed to internal engine block scale require different cleaners.

Search for internal engine block coolant cleaners made by well known Antifreeze manufacturers such as :

1710477673389.png

Once the internals are clean, use only distilled water to make up your 50/50 antifreeze mix.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Note that the 2 GM is seawater cooled.. the 2 GMF is coolant cooled.. He may well have seawater deposits

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 33 salem
Th motor is indeed a 1982 Yanmar 2GM (raw water cooled). And the deposits are from seawater. They
are hard mounds of white salty stuff. I broke off as much as I can reach but there is still plenty in there I cannot reach.

The boat / motor is 40+ years old an I am betting never done so looking into best method.

Thanks all for your input.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I used barnacle buster a few years ago on a 3GMD (raw water cooled only) as maintenance and not because I saw anything alarming and the engine wasn't overheating.

Going from memory so this is going to be rough:
- I used a submersible recirculating pump from home Depot that is used to flush tankless hot water heaters.
- I removed the thermostat and installed fittings for hose connectors right prior to the thermostat housing and at the outlet at the top of the exhaust manifold water jacket.
- the solution (2 gallons??) was placed in a bucket was circulated for some time: read directions since I think it was for 45 minutes to an hour in each direction, then flushed with clean water.
- I think Iay have removed the zincs prior to the treatment and put in new afterwards.
the raw water pump was removed and cleaned manually prior to reassembling everything and running engine.

The solution for this gets pretty dirty but didn't get any big chucks or anything like that out. I felt it was just good maintenance for at the time was an over 35 year old engine (this year it is 40 as well).

good luck and let us know how it goes