Depth Transducer Deadrise angle 2008 Hunter 36'

Feb 17, 2019
Hunter 36-2 Florida West Coast
I am not at the boat and want to order a new depth sounder. Looking for information on the Deadrise angle on a 2008 Hunter 36'. Thank you.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the site.

On a sailboat, you'll find that the deadrise angle of the hull is minimal around the midship and increases as one goes to either the bow or the stern. And that's a really rough description. On a saiboat with a curved hull, the angle increases also as you move 90 degrees away from the keel.

You want to mount the X-ducer in a reasonably flat location to read the depth UNDER the keel and not off to the side.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I assume the location of the standard transducer is the same as the 356, just forward of the keel - it's essentially flat (0) at that point in the hull

Feb 17, 2019
Hunter 36-2 Florida West Coast
SeaDaddler, I'm in Ruskin at Little Harbor. Nice floating docks but the staff seems angry most the time. That and I'm on the in/out pier and have had dock lines stolen and my power disconnected. Good that I installed solar or my fridge and freezer would have been off with food in them. We are wanting to move south. Considering moving to Burnt Store after hurricane season. Any recommendations?

BTW, my boat name is Wave Particle.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Thanks for the input. I have a 0-12 degree transducer ordered.
Is it an Airmar? It just occurred to me that you might try the angle measurement app that comes with the iPhone when you are at the boat next. I have been meaning to measure the angle on our ‘08 H36. We are in a shallow marina that can be a little tense coming and going at low tide. When a transducer is rated at 0-12 deg does that mean you will get correct soundings if mounted within that deadrise angle? At 12 deg in 15 ft of water the center of the beam would be 3.2’ to the side and in 40 ft of water the center of the beam center would be 8.5’ off to the side. I assume it senses the first part of the return from edge of the beam, which would be closest to being directly under the boat. Dan