Depth Gauge Offset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2007
- - Chocowinity, NC
I just bought a 2005 shoal-draft Hunter 306. I want to calibrate the depth gauge to read water under my keel. I know that the draft is 3'11", but the transducer is already at the bottom of the hull. So, what's the added depth from the hull bottom to the keel bottom? Thanks!

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Measure directly

Just use a line with something heavy tied on the end, and measure the actual water depth while in the slip. Then adust the offset until the depth sounder reads correctly.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Must be a mental thing with me

but I set the depth to the actual water depth. Then I don't need any math conversions to remember. While sitting at the dock I used a tape measure and taped a small weight to the end and played it out out to the bottom. Took several measurements along about a three foot area. Thats what I set the depth to. No math, no remembering what my keel depth is, just how much water am I in. Also works great with following depth contours on the chart. My Admiral hates seeing that depth read ZERO! :) Jim S/V Java

Dec 24, 2003
- - Va. Beach, Va
Dan

I do the same as you w/ my 420... Depth guage reads water under the keel, when it says 0, I am aground. Call Hunter (or the dealer in Oriental) for the height of your keel.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I am with Jim

I am with Jim. I prefer actual water depth. That just works for me mentally. When I look at a chart, it is very easy to relate to the depth on the chart too.

Status
Not open for further replies.