Depth finder transducer location

MccNeo

May 11, 2014
MacGregor 26S Evans
I have a MacGregor 26S (water balast). I want to purchase a Larance combination GPS / Depth finder and use an"shoot thru hull" transducer so I can avoid a thru-hull mount.

With a water balast configuration, where is the best location to mount the transducer inside that will give a good signal without balast tank interference?

I know the lazarette is a possibility close to the forward bulkhead but think that mounting further forward might be better.

I do'nt think I wat a transom mount as the back of the boat can come out of the water depending on loading, wind, wave actio, etc.

Anyone else had experience with this that could share would be appreciated.

Joe A

Feb 4, 2008
Macgregor 26S Lake Wallenpaupack / EastCoast
That's where mine is - in the lazarette. It worked very well for years there although I am having some trouble now that I need to address. If memory serves it is about 4 to six inches from the forward bulkhead. I have a raised floor in there now so I can't double check. I don't know where else you could even put it. It can't be above the ballast tank. There is no flat area in the settee bilges. Maybe under the V berth but I don't know.