Depth finder location

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R Kolb

I am planning to add a depth sounder to my C22. I checked the archives and all the articles are about where to locate the transducer. My question is where to locate the instrument itself so that it can be seen in the cockpit (or is it enough to be able to just hear the low water alarm??). I was thinking about the area just below the companionway or maybe in one of the coming boxes. I would prefer to avoid the bulkhead because my wife and dughter like to lean back on the bulkhead. Any recommendations? Are the units waterproof enough to be installed outside? I'm leaning towards one of the small 2" round units that would flush mount but am open to suggestions. Also, thanks to those who responded to my post about whether to get the adjustable backstay from CD. I decided to get it. Randy

T

Timm R

wireless

I bought a brand new Norcross wireless unit from Ebay for sixty dollars.The unit is a about the size of a stopwatch.It can go with me anywhere on the boat,just clip it to your belt loop.Hope this helps

K

Ken Palmer

swing arm

take a look at the swing arm here. Might be something to consider,you might even want to their fleet. http://tinyurl.com/2yc3w

D

David Williams

I just mounted mine

I think the swing arm is a great idea. I purchased a Raymarine ST-40 Bidata instrument, and spent about 3 weeks deciding where to mount the instrument. I didn't want to mount it on the cockpit bulkhead for the same reason as yourself, and I considered several ways to mount it in the campionway, didn't think of the swing arm idea though. Because of the size (small, easy to break by moving) and number of wires, so I though a fixed mounting would be best. I finally mounted it hanging from the center/roof inside just forward of the pop-top. I haven't sailed with it yet, but I can sit on either side of the cockpit and read the numbers. I have been working on my boat, and surprisingly enough, it is not in the way of moving around inside the cabin. I bent a small piece of SS to mount the instrument on, ran the wires to the port, and drilled a 1/2 hole in the v-berth's aft/outside corner to drop run the wire through to the sole. O, my instrument has an anchor alarm, so I wanted to be able to hear it while sleeping. Hopefully, I accomplished all of my goals installing my depth/speed gauge. I am planning to go to the lake this weekend for a shake-down cruise to test the modifications I made to my boat this winter. Spring is in the air, David

T

thomas konerding

I tried to keep it simple

see photo: Garmin 240 blue fishfinder. no holes drilled (shoot through installation of transducer) can also be placed inside (harbour) can be removed easily it is still like new and works great. Thomas

Attachments

R

Randy Kolb

Thomas - more info please

I can't quite orient to the photo. It looks like the fishfinder is clipped somehow to the bottom corner of the companionway. Is that correct? How is it held in place? Intriguing setup. I like the no-drilling-holes approach that this offers as does the wireless setup. More details on your installation would be appreciated. Thanks. Randy

T

thomas konerding

pls state email

I was working on the boat today... send your email address to tomkonerding@aol.com and I can send you more pictures. I am not sure if it works 1:1 on the old C22. Thomas

Attachments

A

Aldo

This could be what you are looking for

Randy: Attached is a photo of the installation of the depth sounder that I installed last summer. It is in the starboard coaming compartment. Maybe this is what you had in mind. (The other connectors and fuses are for an the autopilot). The blue is from a scrap of plastic. It is set back about an inch from the inside of the fiberglass. I have seen this type of thing done with wood, and it wasn't quite as nice, due to being more difficult to maintain. I keep covers over every piece of teak on my boat, and that's what the snaps shown in the photo are all about. I have to remake it for this coming summer. It turns out that my wife likes to put her chair, (the kind that has a back so that she can sit up against it), right in front of the depth gage and then she reads! I'm never going to be able to do anything about that, so I'll remake the autopilot panel for the starboard side, and make a new one for the depth sounder for the port side. I'm telling you this in case you have a similar problem with your wife or daughter. You don't want to put the depth sounder inside the boat. You want to be able to see it, and shut off the alarm. In fact, I'm planning on adding a silence switch to turn off the alarm when I remake my panel. I really like it at night. When your concerned about the depth at night, it just makes you feel a little better. I mounted my transducer in the compartment right in front of the head compartment, with wax from a toilet bowl ring. It is a little sticky and worked great. I then found a piece of styrofoam packaging material that I put over it, which just happened to be a perfect fit. If you have any other questions, just reply. Aldo

R

Randy Kolb

Aldo, sounds good - where is photo?

Aldo, please post that photo. Your installation sounds like what I first thought of. Randy p.s. My wife and daughter prefer to lean against the bulkhead and read - or do crossword puzzles! That means no instruments can be mounted on the bulkhead. My next challenge will be to mount a compass. I am thinking about the space just below the companionway.

A

Aldo

Here's the Photo

Randy: I'm sorry that the photo didn't upload. I thought that I cancelled it, but apparently I didn't. I've had our boat since 1980, and I'm very hesitant to cut holes into it. Plenty of stuff has changed in 24 years. I don't mind screwing things to it, but I don't like to cut holes into it. I don't recommend mounting the compass below the step into the cabin. We really don't use our compass much anymore. My sons usually use the GPS for navigating. Our compass screws onto a little bracket that is screwed onto the rear of the cabin, what you called the bulkhead. Our compass is removable, and we only put it on when we are using it. I don't think that the model that I have is currently made. Anyhow, if you have any questions about the photo of the depthsounder, just reply. I had to lighten it considerably, because there isn't much contrast between the black of the gage and the blue plastic, and I wanted you to be able to see the gage. Aldo

Attachments

R

R Kolb

Couple more questions

That is a nicely done installation Aldo! A couple more questions for you. The sounder you use has no on/off switch. Is that a problem at all? Do you turn it off at the fuse panel? Would the unit hold up to the weather if you didn't cover it? Also, does anyone have experience with the wireless units from Norcross? Do they work well? Thanks. Randy

L

Larry

How to Contact Hummingbird?

I "inherited" a depthfinder made by Hummingbird. It was not hooked up. I looked online for the Hummingbird company to see if I could get a manual or some directions on how to hook it up. Any thoughts?

A

Aldo

Wiring the Depth Sounder

Randy: If you look at the photo that I uploaded before, you will see a switch inside a little black boot, just to the left of the depth sounder, and below the 4 fuses. This switch turns this blue panel on and off. It turns the power to the Depthsounder, autopilot, autopilot remote, and a 12 volt socket that is behind the panel on or off. (The red and black wires that you can see inside the coaming compartment are to the 12 volt socket that the adapter to the GPS plugs into). When I turn the master power inside the cabin off, this panel also goes off, of course, but otherwise, just this panel will go off with this switch. Relative to your question about not covering the depthsounder, you're asking the wrong person that question. I even cover my mast when I trailer the boat. Anyhow, do motorboaters cover their gages when they aren't using their boats? The depth sounder looks like a motor boat gage to me. (The motorboaters in my marina do cover their gages when they aren't using their boats). On your question about a wireless depthsounder, I like to run wires. I have 120 volt wiring in my boat too. I only cut one receptacle into the area near the head, but I have another one opposite the battery box, inside the step under the companionway. We plug in a battery charger into it when we are cruising. As I said, I like to run wires. I work for a connector company. I never noticed that there was no "G" in Humminbird. By the way, I really felt good about NOT drilling a hole through the hull for my depthsounder. The tranducer was made for transmitting through the hull without drilling a hole for it, and it said that it was. I guess other ones can do this, but this one actually said that it was made to shoot through the hull. Aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.