Depth Finder has stopped working

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
The original Datamarine S200DL depth finder has stopped working. When I turn it on I get "MSD18.8" on the display. From what I can find on line it appears this message is indicating a problem with the display head, not the transducer. Anyone able to confirm this?

Is there a way to measure the signal strength from the transducer- I would like to be able to confirm that it is indeed sending a signal.

I have checked the power at the back of the instrument and I am seeing 12.4 volts there at the connection point of the wires.

Anyone been able to successfully find the solution to a problem like this- if not anyone moved to a fish finder in a H34 and if so which one.

Thanks in advance

VINN

Aug 23, 2005
HUNTER H34 point lookout long island
just give the indicator a tap with your fingers it usually works like that for me? all the other indicators have some issues too. for 30 years old we should be lucky they just come on...

SteveB

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Venice, FL
Richard, Did you ever find a solution to your depth sounder issue? My original Standard Horizon display started to show erratic results last week. Upon starting, it displays the "- -" symbol. when I take Vinn's advice and tap it, it drops from 456' to 9.9' however, it remains there through all tide changes; have not taken her out yet.

Per Main Sail's observation, I did put a stethoscope to the transducer and heard something like a ping. So I have either a good transducer or tinnitus.

The manual for the Standard Horizon says the transducer frequency is 203kHz. Thoughts on trying a new display rated for 200kHz?

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Not solved yet- more thoughts from here would be good :). I did check all the connections at the display. My next thought is to check if there is a ping at the transducer and if i can see a voltage at the display that is the ping- I am assuming that it is generated at the display? Should I be able to see a steady current at the transducer cable connection?