Delivery “skipper” effed up original jib on B323

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
Finally saw the jib on the new-to-me boat. In addition to tears due to loose furl, it has (what appears to be) bottom paint on it, and tears in the lower middle!

She‘s 2004 with new main in 2014, so I’m preparing myself to replace the jib (along with main infurl and main traveler lines).

Question: while original jib is 116%, would you recommend new sail to be same size or larger?
Will mostly do bay sailing around Corpus Christi.
Boat has spinnaker pole, but no spinnaker sail. I’ve never sailed a spinnaker...

Any and all input welcomed by this noob.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm a big believer in seeking local knowledge when it comes to setting up the boat.
Get to know some of your dock neighbors who own boats similar to yours, drop by any area sail lofts, visit the community's most popular sailing chandlery and even try to make some connections at the local yacht club. Be friendly and humble when you pick their brain. You should be able to put together a short and a long range plan for your sail inventory and rigging mods that relates to local conditions. The bonus is making some sailing friends and learning new stuff. It'll be fun.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have the original Pryde jib size which I thought was a 110 and its more than sufficient. With the jib tracks as short as they are and with the wide stance of the spreaders, the ability to sheet in a larger jib is limited to say the least. In my opinion, the layout of the rig makes the boat want to sail with the mainsail more dominant than the jib unlike older designs where the jib plays a larger role.
I would be surprised if your “new” boat has a spinnaker pole, it would be more likely to be a whisker pole used down wind with the existing jib or with an asym. In either case don’t discard it.

If your jib is original, it may not be worth refurbishing at 17 years old, depending on use and care. It mystifies me as to how one would get bottom paint on the sail unless it was being used as a drop cloth.

Anyway, enjoy the boat. After learning its characteristics, think about adding an asymmetric or code zero in place of a larger jib if you plan on sailing in light air. I am assuming your boat already has the extra halyard and other necessary hardware, etc. since you stated that there was a pole aboard.

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
Local rigger helped take jib down. He thought the smudges were bottom paint smudges, but didn’t understand how they got there. Sail was clean when seen during survey prior to delivery.

Another local guy is rep for a sail maker. Will have him take measure for same size jib.

(I look forward to trying out the whisker pole someday.)

Thanks to you all for sharing your input!

Last edited: