Delivery Captain

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
We've just moved from Belfast ME to Chestertown MD. Our boat, a Pacific Seacraft 40, is still in Belfast. I had planned to return to Belfast and sail the boat here. But I find there is so much I should be doing here that I now don't want to take the time to deliver the boat myself. So I'm looking for a delivery captain. I sure would have liked to use Jon Eisberg for this. I've gotten a few names from various sources. I thought some of you might have others. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Chris

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks Dane. I've submitted a request for estimate. There's a captain in Maine looking the boat over today. I'll let you know what we decide.

Chris

Feb 28, 2013
You certainly may. For years we sailed up and down the Chesapeake Bay heading south in the fall and north in the spring. Two years ago we sailed up the river to Chestertown for the first time and really liked the town. We returned last year and still liked it - its history, its wide sidewalks, its college, its architecture. It's a small town, which we like, but it has nearly everything we would want, most of it in walking distance of the house we bought. It's a lot like Belfast ME where we were but without the harsh winters. I think we'll be very happy here.

Thanks for asking.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Thanks Dane. I've submitted a request for estimate.
Chris
Of that web site, D&U are in my SOS sailing club(as are a few others on this forum). Mike is a great sailor. His boat used to be on the home page here. Don't know the other two.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Two years ago we sailed up the river to Chestertown for the first time and really liked the town. We returned last year and still liked it - its history, its wide sidewalks, its college, its architecture. It's a small town, which we like, but it has nearly everything we would want, most of it in walking distance of the house we bought. It's a lot like Belfast ME where we were but without the harsh winters. I think we'll be very happy here.
We're in long-term planning ourselves. Looking at Chesterton, and what you sail, how long is it to motor down-river to open water for sailing? I suppose depth isn't an issue. Yacht club yet?

Feb 28, 2013
We'll be keeping the boat, Pacific Seacraft 40, in Worton Creek. It's a pleasant 10 minute drive from Chestertown and much much closer to the Bay.

Depth in the Chester River isn't an issue but could be in Rock Hall near the entrance to the river.

There is a YC in Chestertown.

Feb 11, 2017
Rosborough 246 Upper Chesapeake
Welcome to the neighborhood. Worton's a beautiful place. There's a yacht club in RH too.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...Two years ago we sailed up the river to Chestertown for the first time and really liked the town. ...
Chestertown has the annual "Harry Potter Festival" this Fri/Sat. We stumbled into the festival by accident A FEW YEARS AGO. GOT A SLIP AT THE MARINA BEHIND THE SULTANA. I hope they have rebuilt the town marina by now,

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Chris, I was wondering what you were up to after seeing your house in Belfast listed for sale. Sounds like Chestertown is a good choice for you guys, the average lows are much better than Belfast in the winter months. I suspect that Maine will be on your cruising destinations list in the summers, be sure to call if you need anything.
Nat

Feb 28, 2013
Dane,

I found a delivery captain who is local to Belfast where the boat is. Since I won't be there it seemed better to go that way, where he could get familiar with the boat before he leaves.

Chris

Feb 11, 2017
Rosborough 246 Upper Chesapeake
Chestertown has the annual "Harry Potter Festival" this Fri/Sat. We stumbled into the festival by accident A FEW YEARS AGO. GOT A SLIP AT THE MARINA BEHIND THE SULTANA. I hope they have rebuilt the town marina by now,
The town marina is in the process of rebuilding. Looks like it will be done before too long. Hopefully significant portions will be done be Downrigging Weekend (the tall ship festival at the end of the month. )

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
CAPCA. Chesapeake Area Professional Captains Association. They claim to have hundreds of licensed captains on list.
CAPCA.net