Delamination

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

How common of an issue is "delamination" amongst older (67/75) Columbia (34" to 43") Any suggestion(s)on how to proceed for repairs.

J

Jay S. Tracy, Jr.

I have a C9.6 that I am restoring. It had some damp and wet core areas (about 30%). While removing the fiberglass to replace the core I do not remember any areas that had delaminated. Exposed layer of fiberglass came out in one piece after considerable effort and any wet core had to be removed with a chisel. Sorry I can't give you a broader answer. Jay T.

J

john

total recore

I recently recored my entire deck and it showed no signs of delamination. if the area is small enough you can inject epoxy resin through a syringe (used for applying glue and sold at most woodworking stores) then weight down the area with a sandbag or two.If the problem is more widespread I would call in a pro.

P

pat boots

for your informantion read this article

check out the MustangIslandYachts.com website. There is a very interesting article written by a fellow there. It is listed down at the bottom of the front page and says not to worry too much about some blisters. He says that hulls like the columbia will not delaminate. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.