Dehumidifier Suggestions

Dec 4, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Wilmington Island
Looked for suggestions for a small duhmidifer while docked with electric. thanks!

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The best dehumidifier that I have found is a small electric heater. In my case it is cold and damp in the winter so mildew will grow inside the boat. A small heater clears it right up. Just needs to be a couple of degrees warmer. I tried the chemical dehumidifier and the electric one with no noticeable improvements.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The best dehumidifier that I have found is a small electric heater. In my case it is cold and damp in the winter so mildew will grow inside the boat. A small heater clears it right up. Just needs to be a couple of degrees warmer. I tried the chemical dehumidifier and the electric one with no noticeable improvements.
These are against our club bylaws. Insurance frowns on them too. Not sure if they would deny a claim if it burned down your boat.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Eva-Dry. I've been using them on two boats (cruising cat, trimaran), for a combined period of 15 years. They don't take out a lot of water, just a few quarts per day but it's enough of the boat is sealed up and does not leak a lot. They work in sub-freezing temps, so long as the temps (in the cabin) go above freezing during the day (if it is on a timer, have it off during the day for a de-frost cycle) and they use very little power. Drill hole in the tank for a drain and let it go in the sink (3/16" ID plastic tubing is enough).

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I went with an Eva-Dry like the one in this article. I punched a hole in the reservoir and drain it into the sink in the head.
+1 on Eva dry or similar dehumidifier from one of the big box stores. I’ve been running one for the past few years and discharge into sink. Set it at % desired andlet it run. Keeps boat dry

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I leave the head port light (window) open year round for better cabin air circulation. Window is screened but some rain can enter. That rain, however, lands on the vanity counter and runs into the sink and then overboard. The boat is stored during the winter with shrink wrap but the window is still open under the wrap. Seems to help with evaporating condensation.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I use a oil encased electric, kinda looks like a old radiator. It’s kept on low and it works great, going on 10 years. It is also connected to a ground fault plug. It may be electric but I believe it’s safe.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I've tried the Eva Dehumidifier with no noticeable improvement. Modern electric heaters are pretty safe. They have automatic switches such that if they are knocked over they turn off. West Marine sells one specifically for this purpose.

Mar 26, 2011
I've tried the Eva Dehumidifier with no noticeable improvement. Modern electric heaters are pretty safe. They have automatic switches such that if they are knocked over they turn off. West Marine sells one specifically for this purpose.
Then moisture is still getting into the boat.
  • Reduce or eliminate leaks.
  • Seal all ventilators. This is often overlooked. You don't ventilate and dehumidify. it is one or the other.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Has anyone had luck with models similar to this?
Looks like the one these kids use in their Catalina 30 in Vancouver.

look sound 6:00.

cant be too cold or they found nut didn’t work well. But they liked the multi-colored lights ;-)

Greg

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
Looks like the one these kids use in their Catalina 30 in Vancouver.

look sound 6:00.

cant be too cold or they found nut didn’t work well. But they liked the multi-colored lights ;-)

Greg
Nice, thanks for the link! If I go that route I'll report back.

Tangential question... do marinas get twitchy if you leave your boat plugged in for a couple weeks at a time while away? I'm thinking of sealing up the boat while away (2-3 weeks at a time), setting up the dehumidifier to drain to the bilge and have the sump pump it out. So it'd need power.

Mar 26, 2011
You really don't want a dehumidifier draining into the bilge. It's just another source of moisture. You need to get the bilge dry and have the dehumidifier drain overboard directly.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I don’t recall the brand name of the one I use but it looks very similar and is around the same size. I also placed a hole in the collector to allow it to drain in the sink. It works well

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You really don't want a dehumidifier draining into the bilge. It's just another source of moisture. You need to get the bilge dry and have the dehumidifier drain overboard directly.
:plus: Mine sits on the counter in the head and drains in the sink. No lingering water.

NINEv2

Jul 21, 2020
Catalina 250 Black Hills
Thanks again for the suggestions. Sounds like it may be at least a viable alternative to spending 200+ on solar vents that seem to crap out after a couple seasons.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I just picked up one of these

I also got a wireless humidity sensor so I can check on whether its working from afar.

I'm planning to use it to try to keep the humidity down in our trailerable boat when I store it in SC during the summer months and we're up north. Ventilation didn't work great last year. Plan is to hook it to a smart plug so I can turn it on and off but I'll have to hold the power switch on permanently as it defaults to off when it loses power. That, and make a drain tube.