Degree of heel H26

Aug 9, 2019
Hunter H26 Hayden Island
Any idea where the point of no return is on the water ballasted H26 is? Talking about upwind or broad reach with standard sails...no spinnaker. Is she going to give me any kind of indication of impending loss of vertical stability? I am aware of how to reduce heel...turn upwind, loosen the main, reef, etc...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
A friend heeled my boat WAAAAAY over. My biggest concern was the rudder breaking.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Your boat is designed with a righting moment, even the water ballast boats will theoretically right themselves after turning turtle. That being said, most boats heel to the level of comfort of the most timid crew before people start getting concerned. In SF Bay we regularly get the rail in the water due to the heavy afternoon winds but, can stay much more upright by reefing and using a smaller jib. if you keep the hatches closed while sailing, a complete knock-down while uncomfortable and wet will generally not be an issue.

One thing I've notice with many of my boats is that as I heel, the boat will reach a point at which it hardens and further heel is difficult. My Hunter 25 wouldn't put the rail in the water even in 40kts of wind due to its 4' lead keel. Your water ballast boat may be a bit more tender so may heel further.

All of this really isn't fun and certainly doesn't help you to sail faster - remember flatter is faster, if you go too far over your just dumping wind and the keel and rudder lose effectiveness.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
That’s Hilarious! They were trying to knock it down, even climbing to the mast and boom to get the mast in the water, and the boat rounded up like it’s supposed to!

They were well prepared. I like the inflatable mark hanging from the mast , just in case they succeeded in putting the mast in the water, I imagine they were careful to fill the water ballast tank before trying that stunt!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
But I had my 32-foot O’Day over about 20-25 degrees this week and that seemed like plenty.
Greg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Based on experience and knowledge of the Hunter water ballast boats I sold, I told my customers never to heel over 12-14 degrees due to hull design thru use of sail control. Warren Luhrs, owner of Hunter concurred.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Based on experience and knowledge of the Hunter water ballast boats I sold, I told my customers never to heel over 12-14 degrees due to hull design thru use of sail control. Warren Luhrs, owner of Hunter concurred.
Wow, that's not alot. I'm liking my 6ft keel more and more.

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Great video - was thinking "whats that float doing up there?" Mountain gusts have certainly put our rail in the water upwind, however the H260 rounds up much past that. We typically reef if heeling much over 10 degrees - tiller pressure lets you know - don't know what its like with a wheel. Without a traveler, the boat seems to like being flat.

Also have started reefing the jib more. Hate the sail shape but it is definitely noticeable when you start to get overpowered.

Returning to Port Angles after 2 weeks in the Gulf Islands BC mid Aug. Haro Straight. Actually not close but we liked the pic.

1566589991047.png

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
After seeing that video,8 yrs ago of course my son and I tried to capsize our 23.5.Did exactly like video,rudder comes out of water,lose steerage and it rounded up everytime.Tender boat but sails great,