Deep Keels Mean Deep Trouble

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Just posting this picture as a warning to those contemplating buying larger deep fin keel boats. The vessel pictured broke loose from its mooring after a storm and ran aground outside Staten Island's Great Kills Harbor. The keel snapped off after the tow boat attempted to move it. The bottom line is that these deep keels put tremendous strain on the hull while at the same time, their narrower point of attachment makes them less strong. Unless you are racing, there is a lot to be said for a shallow keel.View attachment 141477
This is an O'Day 322, that ran aground returning home, and did not "break free" from her mooring. After getting stuck, the owner elected to call Tow Boat instead of waiting 6 hours to float off. Tow Boat attempted to pull the boat free very hard, and from an angle off the stern. Having a 4'2" wing keel (not "deep keel" in my book) the resultant torque twisted the keel so as to break the fiberglass bond. She was totaled.
Sad end to a great boat...

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
This is an O'Day 322, that ran aground returning home, and did not "break free" from her mooring. After getting stuck, the owner elected to call Tow Boat instead of waiting 6 hours to float off. Tow Boat attempted to pull the boat free very hard, and from an angle off the stern. Having a 4'2" wing keel (not "deep keel" in my book) the resultant torque twisted the keel so as to break the fiberglass bond. She was totaled.
Sad end to a great boat...
Interesting to know. How did you find out?

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
IMGP3721.JPG
I'm friends with the owner, who happily just picked up an O-35 to continue his sailing adventures! Some of the parts of that 322 now live on in my 322....
Were you are anyone else able to salvage the solar panel which was laying on the bimini and partially submerged?