Deck winch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2013
Catalina 32mkII Bay View
Does anyone have a suggestion how I remove a deck winch on my Catalina 32mkII? I managed to remove the screws that fasten it to the deck but it appears that the winch was also sealed to the deck with some sort of flexible sealant and I can move it at all. I don't want to damage the winch or the deck with excessive force. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
You can try slipping a knife under and cutting the sealant or you can use good old fashion persuasion the rubber mallet. Just make sure you don't knock it overboard.

TAK

Nov 29, 2009
Beneteau 381 Punta Gorda
I had to take the base of one totally off to get the gears out (not sure why Beneteau installed it that way). I used a stiff 3 inch putty knife. Had to work just the corner of the knife in with some persuasion from a hammer. Once it got a start, worked the putty knife around the first several inched to break the seal. Make sure you get all the old sealant off or the new sealant won't get a good bond/seal. It was a two person job getting it back on because the Admiral had to hold the socket wrench from the underside in the aft cabin. I don't think the original owner ever stripped down the winches, and it took a couple of hours on each one to clean up all the parts but was worth the effort. Good winter project to take home.

PaulJ
S/V Summerhaven
B381

Oct 12, 2013
Catalina 32mkII Bay View
Thank you both for the suggestions. Tried the mallet approach but couldn't get it to budge. Also tried slipping the sharp end of a knife between the winch housing and the deck but there just wasn't sufficient space to even take the sharp edge. However I think I will have another go perhaps with the putty knife and some extra persuasion. I also wondered if application of heat would assist the process. Have either of you tried that? I am not sure why the winches were fitted the way they were. There were three possible options to fit them and they chose the one that doesn't work for servicing. I will post success or failure in the next week or two. Thank you again

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
I have not tried heat. Catalina Direct sells a solvent for removing 5200 I believe I saw it on their site once.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Rebed with butyl when your done. Don't fight that battle again.

Butyl is not for everything, but it's a good choice for large objects that may be removed for service and are well secured by bolts. Removal becomes moments rather than hours.

Oct 12, 2013
Catalina 32mkII Bay View
Rebed with butyl when your done. Don't fight that battle again.

Butyl is not for everything, but it's a good choice for large objects that may be removed for service and are well secured by bolts. Removal becomes moments rather than hours.
Another very helpful suggestion! Thank you

Oct 12, 2013
Catalina 32mkII Bay View
Another very helpful suggestion! Thank you
Just some information for those who live outside of US (countries that require delivery by air) and wish to obtain the solvent for 3M's 5200 adhesive. It does indeed exist and can be obtained through Catalina Direct (it's called Marine Formula) but they cant deliver it overseas by air since it is an aerosol. I was unable to locate a stockist in Australia (yet). If anyone knows one I would be very please to hear from them. Thank you

Nov 6, 2012
Catalina 320 Manly
Sorry I can't offer a solution but wish I had asked the same question before I applied some persuasion to remove a footblock from C320. It eventually came loose with a bit of the gel coat still attached. :cry: So definitely go easy. Be interested in where I can source this solvent in Australia is someone finds out.

Attachments

Oct 12, 2013
Catalina 32mkII Bay View
Sorry I can't offer a solution but wish I had asked the same question before I applied some persuasion to remove a footblock from C320. It eventually came loose with a bit of the gel coat still attached. :cry: So definitely go easy. Be interested in where I can source this solvent in Australia is someone finds out.
I found a source of Marine Formula in Queensland (All Marine Services) and they can deliver throughout Australia. Waiting for a shipment as we "speak". Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.