Deck support for a Hunter 170

Oct 12, 2016
Hunter 170 FL
Does anyone have any experience with supporting the deck or firming up the deck of a Hunter 170? A few cracks that I will fill but I was considering drilling a few holes under the tread tape and filling with 4lb density urethane foam but will it react OK with the plastic composite of the boat?

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
That's exactly what I did and it worked well. I propped each side up in 4 places using a 4" hole saw, epoxied the disks back in place and fiberglassed the deck. I believe I have a post on the subject from a few years ago..

Might want to use 8 pound foam, however.

Oct 12, 2016
Hunter 170 FL
Do those posts still exist? I searched but did not run across them. Any further advice is welcomed.

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
I did not take pictures, sorry. Here are the steps I used…

1) Remove the anti-skid tape. Take pictures of location and measure length, it will be replaced with new material at the end of the project.

2) Mark areas where foam columns are to be placed. Exact locations are not critical but try to center them in areas where you have the greatest sag. I centered mine in the space between the centerboard pocket and seats, YMMV.

3) Cut holes using a 4” hole saw. It’s worth the cost for the correct tool. You will remove a circle of about 3/16” plastic bonded onto about 2” of rigid foam.

4) Where necessary, I propped up the deck using a 2X4 across the seats with a line pulling up a small board located under the deck. For me, this was only necessary in 2 locations to assure the deck was level.

5) Form 8” cylinders from Mylar sheets taped up to contain the foam. I seem to remember the length between the bottom of the deck and hull varied between 8” and 12”. These cylinders can be collapsed to position below deck and unrolled to form a column between deck and hull with a 2” overlap on the deck. I cut tabs in the bottom of the cylinders to help adjust to the hull which slopes in this area. The bottom of these do not have to form a tight seal against the hull, we’ll handle any gaps during the pour.

6) I poured foam in only one cylinder at a time because of the short working time. Mix a small amount (keep the first pour to 2 ounces or so of the liquid mix) and pour it around the bottom perimeter of the cylinder to let the foam form a seal against the hull. After it expands, continue to mix and pour small amounts of the foam until the cylinder is full. Be careful as the foam approaches the top of the cylinder so it does not expand onto the deck.

7) Trim the foam so it is flush with the bottom of the plastic deck. I removed the foam core from the plastic disk I described above when gluing the disks back in place. If the deck was propped up with line, trim that as well.

8) I used West Systems epoxy to secure the disks in place but any quality product should work. Be sure to cut a wide V groove between the plastic disk and deck to give the epoxy sufficient area to bond. Any mismatch between the trimmed foam and the replaced disk should be bedded with epoxy to provide a firm base.

9) Because of cracking caused by the sagging deck, I applied two layers of fiberglass using epoxy to the deck area, starting at the mast step and stopping about where the seats end aft. Here is where you could possibly try to work with 3” holes above and cover the patched area with the 4” anti-skid tape mentioned below. Prior to work above, I took a plastic disk to an auto paint store and had them match the color with a two-part coating. Other repair guides call for a particular spray paint and, to be honest, color matching was really not all that important. If you end up using the 3" holes and not applying fiberglass, the patches will be covered by the anti-skid.

10) I purchased a roll of 4” anti-skid tape suitable for wet locations from a safety supply company online and replaced the original.

It was a successful solution and ended up looking pretty good. I have to correct an original statement, I believe I did use 4-pound foam.

Oct 12, 2016
Hunter 170 FL
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I was hoping I could get away with just putting foam between the plastic skin and the foam below to fill any voids. You did a very impressive and thorough job. Still wrapping my brain around the Mylar columns - creative and ingenious.

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Is the problem one of plastic skin delaminated from the structural foam? If so, drilling holes and injecting epoxy will more or less work depending on the magnitude of the problem. Inject, weight down and wait overnight should work.

Oct 12, 2016
Hunter 170 FL
Not sure what exactly the problem is, I will drill a 1 3/4" hole with the hole saw to inspect. I will let you know. Thanks again.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer for Hunter well versed with the 170, I believe what you are describing is the outer white ACP skin forming the deck over a strong constructual foam core has separated. It will feel like the floor has bubbled up and is spongy like feeling when pushing down.
I told Hunter how to repair. First if there are any cracks, to drill a 1/8 inch hole at each end of the crack to stop that crack from spreading. Next, drill either a 1/2 or 3/4 inch holes thru the outer ACP skin only which is no thicker than 3/16 inch every 12 to 18 inches apart. Pour in Gorilla Glue a lot of it spreading it via an air gun at the hole inside. Place boards over the affected area and weighting down evenly across the boards. I used cinder blocks, brick, lead ingots and so on allowing a 24 drying time but longer when cold. Fill the holes and cracks in with Plexsis and wet sand. You may have to do the filling in with Plexsis 2 or more times but use wet and dry sandpaper with water to smooth out. Then spray paint with Krylon and the folks on the forum can advise what color number that is.
I hope this helps. Although TX added structural strength and obviously he knows what he is doing, in most cases the flexing of the outer skin is simply the outer or ACP skin separated and the above method will fix that. For the record I supported the 170 and many and all of my ideas were incorporated into this boat but the only thing I was not a fan of is the ACP as this would have been better served built out of fiberglass.
Dave Condon

Oct 12, 2016
Hunter 170 FL
@Crazy Dave - thank you for your response. Will Gorilla glue expand to fill any gaps? Also, the Hunter guide said Plexus and Devcon (Walmart brand) are the same thing - quite the price difference so is that the case or is it worth spending the extra $ for Plexus brand?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Plastic welder of sorts if that is on the tube will work. What you have to think of it this way is you are melting plastics to one another. For the bigger holes like 1 inch or more I would go the route of Plexus. Now for the voids, not sure what your are talking about. If you mean the floor or outer skin of the ACP, You have to weight it down next to the foam so the gorilla glue will bind the floor to the the construction foam.

Oct 12, 2016
Hunter 170 FL
Thanks Dave. There is a spot in the bow about 1sq. ft. that the acp is warped, delaminated and has a crack. I was planning on just removing that small area of acp, embedding fiberglass with the Plexus and filling it. I assume resin that is typically used with glass may not work with the acp?

Oct 12, 2016
Hunter 170 FL
Dave - I included a photo of what I removed, I suspect that maybe there was an attempt to fix it and they used the wrong material that caused the warping. It was all delaminated in that area so it was very easy to remove. If needed I could replace that piece once the area around it is secured again and just fill in the gap, sand and paint but I would rather give a go at making it look decent.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am not sure what to tell you at this point as I would not have cut the acp skin off as it just makes it harder to repair. Not sure what to tell you even if you tried putting that back on as the edges of that piece would be very difficult to match back up without looking like a mess and not as structural. The other problem if you do lay something down, you will not get a smooth surface which is concerning and you cannot use regular resin and hardner as it will react with the other surfaces. I am not sure at this point what to tell you.

Oct 12, 2016
Hunter 170 FL
Thanks Dave - I feel like removing it was a good choice because it was so warped and brittle - the good news is that it is a pretty small area. I plan on covering that whole area with a nonskid material so I think it will work out. The Plexus embedded fiberglass seems to be very secure. I will send photo when finished.

Oct 12, 2016
Hunter 170 FL
Will do. Just finished the Putting Gorilla glue in drilled holes - made for much less flexing of the deck, not 100% but close.