Deck Repair on my 222

Nov 7, 2016
O'Day 222 Paris Landing, TN
Has anyone ever used the Sani-Tred coating on your deck? Mine has superficial hair-line cracks all over it and would like to cover them up.

Thanks in advance...
Randall

Nov 1, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Galveston
Mccadamsoday,

I am currently in the process of restoring a 1982 AMF Sunbird, and there are hairline cracks all over it; this is no major problem for me, however, as the cracking is only as deep as the gelcoat surface. I assume your stress cracks are the same, so this inconvenience should be a relatively easy fix for you! :) The easiest and most efficient way to get rid of those cracks is to take filler putty used for fiberglass reconstruction and press it into the cracks with a pain spreader. After the putty dries, sand the worked area down to get rid of any uneven or rough surfaces. The putty will most likely be a different color than the fiberglass surrounding the area, so you may want to paint or spray it over with gelcoat. If the cracks are on a textured or nonskid surface, then you'll have to either replace the nonskid tape, or put nonskid adhesive on the whole area if the texture was part of the production mold. I hope this helps!

God Bless,

S.S.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Interesting product, but the surface prep they have in the instructions look like you would need to sand blast all previous coatings first.

Nov 1, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Galveston
Interesting product, but the surface prep they have in the instructions look like you would need to sand blast all previous coatings first.
Yes, that may be necessary if the cracks have been there for a while; weather gets in and can potentially rot the fiberglass and wood underneath it if the cracks have been there for any longer than a few months.