deck prep

M

Member 131497

hey guys
Im getting ready to work the non skid area. Don Casey on his book "Sailboat hull n deck prep" recommends bronze wool to work with;but that will take an eternity. I've been trying to get a bronze 2 or 3" wire round head for the drill but all i find is other metals but that one. Any suggestions?

C

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The recommendation for bronze wool rather than other metals is due to metal wools leaving bits behind. Steel will rust, bronze won't. You can't remove all the tiny pieces that will get embedded in the gelcoat.

Using a wire brush on a drill or grinder will be pretty aggressive. Are you just trying to deep clean it? Or remove the non-skid?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Are you prepping to paint? We went with aggressive (40/50 grit) sandpaper for our paint prep. Took the nonskid pattern right off and left no metal shards to rust or discolor the paint afterwards.

Jan 11, 2014
Try a pressure washer. Just be careful around deck fittings to prevent eroding the caulking.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Are you prepping to paint? We went with aggressive (40/50 grit) sandpaper for our paint prep. Took the nonskid pattern right off and left no metal shards to rust or discolor the paint afterwards.
What sanding machine did you use?

M

Member 131497

The recommendation for bronze wool rather than other metals is due to metal wools leaving bits behind. Steel will rust, bronze won't. You can't remove all the tiny pieces that will get embedded in the gelcoat.

Using a wire brush on a drill or grinder will be pretty aggressive. Are you just trying to deep clean it? Or remove the non-skid?
remove the non skid paint

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Check with Jamestown Distributors. They are experts in finishing boats.
Take their advice with a grain of salt. When I asked if XYZ conditions would weaken their epoxy they simply replied, "Well, see if it hardens". When I asked West Systems they gave a detailed explanation of what would happen and why. They're also very helpful with repair advice over the phone and email

Jan 11, 2014
remove the non skid paint
I would start with the least aggressive method and work down (up?). If a sander and 80 grit paper isn't doing the job, then try 60 or 40 grit. If those don't work then move to an angle grinder and a floppy disk (not the kind we used back in the 80s ;)), the abrasive kind.

Take their advice with a grain of salt. When I asked if XYZ conditions would weaken their epoxy they simply replied, "Well, see if it hardens". When I asked West Systems they gave a detailed explanation of what would happen and why. They're also very helpful with repair advice over the phone and email
Jamestown Distributors/Total Boat are new comers to the epoxy, resin, finishing game. West System has long been the leader in testing and pushing their products to the limit. Given a the choice, I'd take West Systems advice over JD/Total Boat advice. Really depends on how mission critical the question is.

edit: West makes the products they sell and have a long history of doing so. JD has a long history of a retailer of boat building products and a short history of selling house brands. I strongly suspect, but have no evidence, that JD contracts out the development of their house brands.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ahhhhhhhh, anyone out there remember 8 Track? If I remember invented by Lear - the guy who developed the jets. Lee Michaels over and over and overand over again in My Chrysler New Yorker with a square steering wheel and push button transmission. Those were the days, my friend.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Yep, remember 8 track, too. And learned to drive in a 1963 Chrysler station wagon with push button transmission. Gosh, we've got some old timers on this forum! :beer:

• Wow