Deck Light Switch

Nov 29, 2016
Beneteau 281 Toronto
Hi everyone,

I have a combination of problems with the foredeck light on my Beneteau 281. It's a Perko combination type, steaming light and foredeck light.
Issue one is that I'm not certain I have it wired correctly. We had the mast off and labeled the connection block, but not sure.
More importantly, how do you turn on the foredeck light? If I knew how to turn it on, I could more easily debug and test the wiring.

Thanks.

Regards,

Brian

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
I suppose it depends on your control panel. When I bought my Beneteau 361, there were both deck light and steaming light switches on the control panel but nothing on the mast. So my electrician installed on the mast a combination type light like yours with two wires connected to the relevant switches on the panel.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
There is a 3 conductor wire that feeds the light (red/white/black). Typically, red powers the steaming light; white, the deck light; black, ground. The wire diagram in the owners manual will provide the wire numbers in the WAGO block, then that wire has to be connected to a switch, and you may have to add a switch in the panel if you don't have a spare in the panel.. Sometimes a simple SPDT switch can be added near the existing steaming light circuit to select either the steaming light or the deck light since both are generally not used simultaneously.

Nov 29, 2016
Beneteau 281 Toronto
Thanks Philip and Doug.

I should have indicated what switches I have. I have a switch that toggles between Motoring, Sailing and Anchoring. I will check the wiring diagram again (it's very cryptic, for me at least). I have a multimeter which I may be able to use to help.

I've not used a WAGO style connector before and am wondering how the ground is shared between the hot wires? I checked the WAGO web site, but the type of connector I have is no longer listed, so no documentation or support.

Also, I figured that the problem may in fact be that there is no switch to control the foredeck light. It seems odd, but perhaps the previous owner replaced the mast mounted light with a combo unit and never completed the circuit. I'll look behind the distribution panel.

Regards,

Brian