Deck Light Switch on a 2009 36" Hunter

Nov 25, 2013
Hunter Hunter 36 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Iam haveing a problem locating the Deck light switch, I do believe that the steaming ligh switch on the panel need to be on , but I cannot find the switch...anyone have an idea...thanks Jerry

Nov 25, 2013
Thank you....I did read that section...but it does list the deck light ...but does not tell how it is to switch on ...and the wireing digram does not even show or list the Deck light.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Are you referring to a mast or spreader mounted flood light?
If so, such a light was probably added by a previous owner.
They could have put a switch anywhere they thought it would be convenient for them,
but not necessarily where a new owner would think to look. :facepalm:

Nov 25, 2013
Hmmmm Thanks ...that is what I think... now where would you look ...I checked the Helm ..ng, I checked the aft cabin thinking that it would be used as a security/ safty light to switch on if you heard something on deck..nope.. going crazie looking for it..any suggestiond...LOL

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Mine was wired to the steaming light. Dumb. Maybe yours is the same - a P.O. wanted deck lighting but had no other way. I had to replace the 2 wire cable with 3 and add another switch.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Deck light was not on from the factory and I would love to add a flood type light to show the sail but don’t do any night sailing much.
I would have loved such a light when sail from NY to Fl. when we did 10 days and nights all ocean sailing.
Nick

Nov 25, 2013
Mine was wired to the steaming light. Dumb. Maybe yours is the same - a P.O. wanted deck lighting but had no other way. I had to replace the 2 wire cable with 3 and add another switch.
Tried that ...still will not go on ...so I am thinking as mentioned above it is tied into the Steaming ligt switch on the panel for power but branches off to a switch then toh the deck light.. and to follow the wires ...well I would have to tear apart the well maintained cabin ..and I can invision what the would look like ...lol

May 27, 2004
Another thought:
The fixture itself may be blown. So, no matter what switch its wired to, you'll never get it to work.
Since mine need replacing anyway, come down to Florida
and I'll show you how it's done while I hoist you up the mast. :biggrin:

Nov 25, 2013
Another thought:
The fixture itself may be blown. So, no matter what switch its wired to, you'll never get it to work.
Since mine need replacing anyway, come down to Florida
and I'll show you how it's done while I hoist you up the mast. :biggrin:
lol well l
Just did that hosted someone up and changer the bulb.. so that is done the Finn thing is that I remember it working need to find the switch I found the connecting leads in the cabin to connect to all the instruments and lights going up
The mast but testing the lead to to the deck light shows no voltage so leas me to believe there has to be a switch n yes I put all the panel breakers on and the tested them . So now need to find the switch lead from the panel and try to follow it what apain.. lol

May 27, 2004
Well, that covers "bulb blown", but then there's "broken wire" blown and "loose connection" blown.
Of course it could end up being "mind blown" from not locating the switch! :laugh:

Nov 25, 2013
Your a funny guy.. but I’ll bet you a good bottle of Scotch that I have mine fixed before yours!

May 27, 2004
Make mine Bushmills Single Malt...
I'm going up the mast Saturday!

Nov 25, 2013
Well I would usually go with Van Winkle Special,Reserve, lot B 12 years.., But since I will have it done tomorrow by 12 ...I'll settle for a Macallan 15 YR, Triple Casket , Single Malt ..... lol

Nov 25, 2013
Well I would usually go with Van Winkle Special,Reserve, lot B 12 years.., But since I will have it done tomorrow by 12 ...I'll settle for a Macallan 15 YR, Triple Casket , Single Malt ..... lol
Fixed send email address for proof photo!! Lol

May 27, 2004
No, No...
You have to publish a video to this site, including sworn statements from
at least three dock mates that the fixture(s) didn't work prior to the repair.
Plus, a split screen showing the light, and the switch that activates it, operational.
I'd demand more proof, but there is a hurricane coming and I've got to strip canvas!

Remember, if you don't have it on video, it never happened! ;)

Last edited: