Deck Hardware on 23-1: Screws or Bolts

Nov 5, 2010
Oday 23 Stonington, CT
Difference of Opinion here, but I prefer a cheap plywood backing plate that upon hard stress will give. That said, on most of my stanchions I beefed up the area with added laminate. On my 1978 23-2 the liner has to be cut out for access. I believe there are pics on my page.

Ritdog

Jul 18, 2011
Oday 25 Portland, ME
I make my backing plates out of 1/8th " sheet steel. Easy to do, and you KNOW they aren't going to break. My bow cleat has a triangular piece of 3/4 ply 18" on a side formed and deck puttied to the interior deck bottom and then a 10x5 steel plate under that. The whole boat is gonna have to rip off the mooring for that to fail. Was out there one July 4th in a 60 mph squall, and wasn't worried about the cleat at all.

May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
Sean, the other guys have given some useful information. Here is a link to a thread which gives some nice pictures and discusses different materials others have suggested from plywood to FR4/G10.

http://www.thevirtualboatyard.com/2009/11/installing-backing-plates.html

The FR4/G10 glass epoxy is actually pretty similar to the basic materials used to make a fiberglass boat although obviously the reinforcing mat is different.

Others have suggested steel and aluminum. All these materials can be used but as noted in the post there can be some challenges with machining/cutting or corrosion due to different materials etc. All these materials are available from e-bay to save the time rummaging around Home Depot or ? to find the size you need.

There has been some discussion about the effectiveness of say HDPE, UMHM and say Starboard. FYI here are a couple of data points

The compressive strength of the materials in kpsi (Thousand of psi) are
Material Compressive strength Modulus
Stainless steel (type 304) 31 ksi
Aluminum (type 6061-T6) 40 ksi
FR4/G10 65 ksi
Delrin 16 ksi
Starboard (HDPE) 4.6 ksi

From this data you can see that the FR4/G10 material is actually stronger than the others. The strengths given for the metals is the yield strength.
Since are also looking for stiffness in a backing plate we might also compare the modulus of elasticity; so for the same list here is the modulus. For the polymers I have provided the compressive modulus since it is different that either the tensile or flexural.

Stainless steel (type 304) 30 million psi
Aluminum (type 6061-T6) 10 million psi
FR4/G10 about 2.6 million psi
Delrin 450,000 psi
Starboard (HDPE) 100,000 psi

Anyway I hope this information help you make a decision about the solution you choose