Deck clutter (aka storage)

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Most of us want to carry some big stuff aboard, either for long voyages or simple convenience at anchor or dock. What have you carried on your decks and what clever ways did you find to secure and protect those items?

Share your tips and photos here.

Cluttered-Stern.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The most useful "cockpit" clutter modification I have made is a PVC tube hose-clamped to my stern rail for an anchor. The line runs forward along the gunwale and I can set and retrieve my anchor from the cockpit. I use it every time I go out. The tube is deep enough to stow 10' of chain and I keep the rode ready to deploy using the rod holder seen in the second photo.
Stern Anchor.jpg
IMG_1582[1].JPG

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've always kept the deck free from any clutter . I'm clumsy enough .I'm especially keen on keeping all ropes coiled up .
:plus:
I don't even like hatches in the way, just broad smooth deck space to work and play on.

-Will (Dragonfly)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I also like to keep the deck clear, lines neatly gathered etc. one thing that was always in my way was the whisker pole. it doesn't get used every time out, but when I want it I don't want to dig around in the cabin for it so I built this aluminum storage tube into the cabin wall. it tucks up inside the cabin where it's totally out of the way in there, yet quickly accessible from the cockpit. :)
P1030414.jpg
P1030415.jpg

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
I also like to keep the deck clear, lines neatly gathered etc. one thing that was always in my way was the whisker pole. it doesn't get used every time out, but when I want it I don't want to dig around in the cabin for it so I built this aluminum storage tube into the cabin wall. it tucks up inside the cabin where it's totally out of the way in there, yet quickly accessible from the cockpit. :)
I’ll
Very clever

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My Windmill has the coolest whisker pole launch system. The pole sits against the boom and runs out to the jib clew through a hinged collar with just the pull of a single line. Shock cord holds it in place.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I tried 3 weeks with a plastic kayak on deck this august. I had to move it to anchor, then move it to clear the furling line, then the paddle was in the way of the furling line. Then it was in the way of a dock line. I'm going back to our old dink mounted on the stern. Oars are easier to store against the toerail than a kayak paddle as well (narrower blades that lay flat and don't capture lines.)

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Our old boat is a stor(w)age palace. I think stowage space oboard used to be a higher design priority than it has become.

Two coffin sized lockers that are full hull depth and run under the lazaret to nearly 10' long. Plus a deck box that holds dock lines, propane cans(grill) and misc. allows us free deck space.

But like an attic or garage in your house, great storage space takes management. If you're a boat hoarder, you're doomed. :)

Sunset Eggemoggin Reach Woodenboat.jpg