Deck Cleats

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The finish is chipping off of my jib sheet and stern docking cleats - does anyone know of a drop-in replacement for them? They are 7" long with two bolts that are 5/16" in diameter, 1 7/8" apart center-to-center. I cannot find a match anywhere, Schaeffer is close but the bolts are 1/4" and 2" apart. Alternaitvely, has anyone tried powder-coating or anodizing their cleats? If so, how did it turn out?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The finish is chipping off of my jib sheet and stern docking cleats - does anyone know of a drop-in replacement for them? They are 7" long with two bolts that are 5/16" in diameter, 1 7/8" apart center-to-center. I cannot find a match anywhere, Schaeffer is close but the bolts are 1/4" and 2" apart. Alternaitvely, has anyone tried powder-coating or anodizing their cleats? If so, how did it turn out?
Well, the holes, at 1 7/8 plus 2x 5/32 is 1 7/8 + 5/16; the other, at 2 + 1/4 is not that far apart that you could not make the holes work for the Schaeffer. However, I don't consider 1/4 bolt very big on a 35 foot boat. 3/8 at least, if not a half. Get 10 inch if you can. Did you look at the SBO store?

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Yeah, 1/4" bolts sound too small - I did look at the SBO store, no luck. I've looked everywhere I can think of. Can't find 8" or 10" that match either. I'll probably re-finish them if nothing turns up, I don't want to drill any new holes in the deck.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I would look into powder coating if you cannot find replacements. Back when I worked I was involved in a few projects where we worked with a powder coating company to come up with coatings to extend the life of high wear parts.
I always thought it would be neat to powder coat my boom, which needs painting, to match the blue trim of my boat.