December 7th. A day of Remembrance

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My prayers go out to all who served and to all the families that felt the personal impact of events on this day. "a date that will live in Infamy!" as Roosevelt intoned.

I wonder sometimes why when life feels safe and joyful we as a nation tend to let our guard relax thinking bad things can never happen to us. Yet when it does we gather together and face the evil as a combined focused nation.

It strikes me that we need a little bit more caution - awareness and a lot more combining of thought as a nation. Fearing not the speech of others, but joining in the recognition that to be free is not a given thing it is earned.

I pray we can find and live the future that is envisioned in our Declaration of Independence:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."​

May God bless and see you all to safe Harbor.
A352D157-5792-4B79-8B5E-FC0552956EC8_4_5005_c.jpeg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If I ever make it to Pearl, I plan to visit the memorial. Wasn't it closed not long ago for structural repairs? I hope they took care of it right away. These places of honor should always be open.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I recall reading about the Memorial having a structural issue. We visited the area once but could not get a ticket to the Memorial.

I have a personal connection, in that my Grandfather was the Navigator aboard the USS Maryland BB-46 at the time of the attack.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If I ever make it to Pearl, I plan to visit the memorial. Wasn't it closed not long ago for structural repairs? I hope they took care of it right away. These places of honor should always be open.
It was open 4 years ago. I believe there was a time, maybe 10 years ago, that it was closed for repairs. It is maintained by a foundation and with the 75th anniversary approaching it was cleaned up and refurbished. The Memorial was originally built in the 1960s and I don' t think there had been a lot of maintenance on it. The photo was taken during the 75th anniversary week. Aboard the ferry to the memorial were several survivors.

The Arizona still leaks oil. As I post this, it is shortly after 7 AM in Hawaii, roughly the time of the attack
DSC_1110.jpeg