december 5th, 1872

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Denatured Alcohol! Not a good thing when the uninformed crew anticipated rum in the casks. What a bummer to get drunk, go mad, and then die.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I just spent 15 minutes informing myself of this story. I've heard the term Mary Celeste but knew nothing of the story. Thanks for that, Jon.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Indeed strange things happen when men go to sea on ships.

I found it interesting that the ship was wrecked, bought and then rebuilt.
"Haines paid US$1,750 for the wreck, and then spent $8,825 restoring it."​
It is the type of activity we explore in the forum all the time. The Mary Celeste enjoyed this experience because she was a merchant ship. Good timber was a valued commodity and once cut and formed would save on a rebuild by skilled craftsman.

What fascinates is that FRP boats are relatively inexpensive compared to the wooden ships. There are an abundance of boats available, yet there are sailors who will find a cheap boat / free to anyone who will remove the boat ... and invest money plus their time and sweat giving a boat life again.

Are we driven by some inner passion to save a boat?

The story of the Mary Celeste was an interesting read. Thanks Jon for inviting me on a curious reading adventure.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I only spent a 1/2 hour on this story but it sounds like the crew abandoned Mary Celeste while near the island and it drifted to the position it was found. They used to lifeboat to land and disappeared. Probably got money from the insurance - maybe upfront. My question is why there was an insurance payout for a vessel that was salvaged?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like the Giant Squid/Whale rising from beneath or the Water Spout whisking the crew away... theories.

1607289778760.png