Decal Questions

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
I am considering giving my new boat a name and I believe the trip I'm going on this summer will require the boat to have it's home port included. What I'm wondering is if it really matters what city I put. I live in a small town without a lake and will keep the boat on a trailer. The closest lake might make the most sense, but it doesn't have much significance to us. Anyone know if the city and state listed on the boat has to follow any guidelines?

As for the name, I've seen these on the back sides of port and starboard, and on the transom in the stern. Not sure if there is a real requirement on names or not.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for where to get stickers printed, I'm looking at places.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
For the decals, BoatU.S. has a 20% off sale.
Take 20% off customized graphics, lettering, registration numbers, and more to make a splash into Spring! Use code SPRINGSPLASH at checkout.

I will bow out and let the experts address the rest.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I am considering giving my new boat a name and I believe the trip I'm going on this summer will require the boat to have it's home port included. What I'm wondering is if it really matters what city I put. I live in a small town without a lake and will keep the boat on a trailer. The closest lake might make the most sense, but it doesn't have much significance to us. Anyone know if the city and state listed on the boat has to follow any guidelines?

As for the name, I've seen these on the back sides of port and starboard, and on the transom in the stern. Not sure if there is a real requirement on names or not.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for where to get stickers printed, I'm looking at places.
The only time I’ve seen requirements for the hailing port are for Coast Guard Documented vessels, not for state registered vessels. Here’s a good breakdown of the requirements -

It doesn’t really specify what you must use as the hailing port. For non-documented vessels I’ve seen any choice of location from home marina to owner’s residence to just special places.

I’ve gotten decals from Boat US and they worked out fine. They have a good selection of fonts and way of laying things out.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
It might depend on the state but I think unless you are coast guard registered you don't need to have the home port displayed. And then even if you are coast guard registered you can put any city in the country, landlocked or not.

Feb 28, 2022
Okay thanks all. That is what I expected. I’ll probably just stick to one name on the stern and wait until a repaint before I consider adding it to the sides. Good to know about the port city

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Just about any sign shop can make decals to your specification and they are digital ready. It's not that expensive.
I think home port is more of a social thing when interacting with other boaters.
The USCG specifies the size and style of registration numbers - they have to be readable to CG vessels.
Documented vessels rules are a bit different as stated above.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I always tend to go for the name on the bow.

If you are handy with computer graphics, you mught enjoy doing a mockup using your favourite graphics program to insert the new name on a photo. Erase any existing name you may have on the boat photo and then create one on the hull using any one of seemingly millions which are free gratis on the web in .ttf format. Place measured tape on the hull for reference or just use items which you can measure for size and placement of the name.

1647038420749.png

If you find a font that turns your crank, send it to a graphics printer and they can print your boat name in the font you like.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I am considering giving my new boat a name and I believe the trip I'm going on this summer will require the boat to have it's home port included.............As for the name, I've seen these on the back sides of port and starboard, and on the transom in the stern. Not sure if there is a real requirement on names or not. Also, if anyone has any recommendations for where to get stickers printed, I'm looking at places.
You are not required to display a home port if your boat is state registered However, you are required to display the boat's name and hailing port if it is documented with the USCG. As far as where to place the decal name and hailing port...........my sailboat has the boat's name on the port and starboard side aft and hailing port on the stern and my powerboat has the boat's name and hailing port on the stern. To buy them go to your local sign store or do an internet search on "boat decals" to find where to buy them.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Nice name - unique and easy to pronounce.

My rules have always been:
  • Four syllables, or fewer
  • Nothing too cutesy or profane (they get old)
  • Say the name a bunch of times, like you are calling for bridges - would you like to say "Bill's bit of fun on the side" a dozen times
  • For those of us who go further afield, does it sound good (or confusing) in Spanish or French

Feb 28, 2022
Mike, I’ve always thought it looked like Jupiter too. Found this in the rock shop outside the Grand Canyon. A must see place if you ever go.

Parsons, I’m with you on all those. We had originally thought of calling it Baby Steps, a reference to the film What About Bob, and because we hope to learn a lot on this boat… but I felt like it was too cutesy. I agree that you should say it several times out loud, possibly over a radio to make sure people can understand it.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Nice name - unique and easy to pronounce.

My rules have always been:
  • Four syllables, or fewer
  • Nothing too cutesy or profane (they get old)
  • Say the name a bunch of times, like you are calling for bridges - would you like to say "Bill's bit of fun on the side" a dozen times
  • For those of us who go further afield, does it sound good (or confusing) in Spanish or French
Too true! My first boat in the SF Bay area was named "highland fling" I registered her-- and eventually changed the name -- but she was forever known as "ISLAND QUEEN" ..... (facepalm)

• Ha
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
You definitely need to have a naming ceremony....check the "rules" on line via a google search. It's fun having a ceremony...with Champaign....
My profile pic is of me and SWMBO doing that very thing. It was an awesome day. :thumbup:

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I believe the trip I'm going on this summer will require the boat to have it's home port included.
There is no requirement that i know of for names or hailing ports on vessels not documented with USCG. A Catalina 22 would not normally be documented but registered with your home state. I put our name on the back sides of our boat and added a hailing port for fun. Our town also has no lakes but it makes for a fun conversation starter while out on the water. For decals I went with an online vendor and they have worked just fine.
IMG_3289.JPEG

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022
So I keep hearing this phrase: “documented with the USCG” but I don’t know what all that entails and when you’re required to do it. Just curious of the laws

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
So I keep hearing this phrase: “documented with the USCG” but I don’t know what all that entails and when you’re required to do it. Just curious of the laws

Short answer: Our C-22's are too small anyway (nowhere close to 5 metric tons). Stick with your state title.