debating tall rig vs. standard rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charlie

the family and I are considering a C36 as our first cruising boat. we have experience with small sail boats but not much on a cruising boat. we are interested in cruising long island sound and going to block island. should we choose a standard rig or a tall rig. as our sailing skills increase will we be wanting to go faster with a tall rig or won't it make much difference. is there much of an effect on resale value? what do most C36 owners choose? Thanks very much for your advice!!

T

Tom Soko

Depends on the Sailing area...

The debate of tall vs. std rigs depends upon the area you typically sail. San Francisco Bay with it's big winds would call for a std rig. Long Island Sound and the Chesepeake Bay with generally light winds, USUALLY call for a tall rig. I think that most 36's sold come with a tall rig, and yes, there might be a slightly higher resale value, but I don't think you should turn down a good deal on a 36 if it has a std rig. The difference is not that great. Good luck. You'll love the boat! Tom Soko Julandra #659

L

Les Murray

Get the tall rig

I have the Cat 36 Tall Rig. I would not hesitate to get one for our area of sailing. Especially in August when the winds are generally light. The only difference you would notice is that you may reef a little earlier, say around 20 kts. of wind. With the tall rig you can take more advantage of the light winds, especially if you have a 155% genoa for the summer. Les Murray s/v Ceilidh 86 C-36 #560 (TRFK)

T

Tom

I agree with these guys basically....but if

you are not racing I don't think you will notice a big difference... If you had a standard with a 155 and a tall with 135....it might be the same................ I would just buy the best boat in the best shape and the one you are happy with.................really.......... if you want better light air sailing with the C36, then the thing to do is get a assymetrical spinnaker.....then you'll move easily in light winds.... remember the C36 is a Solid Cruising boat(cruiser/racer) .......................... not a racing boat, that if you had to you could cruise in.............but its great when then winds pick up....very solid feeling!.....and the wife won't keep kicking you 'cos its heeling to much....:)

D

Dean Bachelor

another reason for tall

Hey Charlie, one other important reason for the tall rig is the fact that you get a bow pulpit with the head sail mountings out in front, not on the boat, and an anchor storage. Go for it, Dean

B

Beau Jouet

Get the standard rig

Charlie, We bought a new 2001 C-36 this year, hull #1971. We have the standard rig. The boat will achieve full hull speed with this rig. The tall is a little better in light wind, but an asymetric will fix that.... Get the fin Keel. In anything but light wind the tall rig has more heel to it... Remember anything past 20 degrees the boat's heeled too much and going slower.... I've run in winds up to 30 knts without a reef with the standard rig.... As cruisers you'll never know the difference.... And you appreciate the standard rig when you have to buy sails. Also in rough seas the tall rig may be slightly more tippy, but just guessing on that... The dealer had both when we went to buy... He had one tall rig, and several standards... He said Catalina doesn't reccomend a tall rig in New England... but they carry one because some people want them.... You can't go wrong with either boat, but given the choice I took the standard... Regards, Chris Hyland

B

Beau Jouet

One more thing

Charlie, If you ever decide to race... PHRF ratings are different between the two rigs and therefore they have no real advantage.... Regards, Chris

T

Tom

Beau -- why would a dealer say

that He doesn't reccomend a tall rig in New England....the winds aren't that strong up here....heck there are a lot of times when Long Island Sound can be dead in August...I feel you can always reef.....but you really can't add any area to your mainsail... And DEAN you said.. another " important reason for the tall rig is the fact that you get a bow pulpit with the head sail mountings out in front, not on the boat, and an anchor storage." Could you please explain that....I have a '99 Cat 36MKII and I know of no differences to the mounting of the headsail with respect to the bow pulpit !?!?......and what do you mean with anchor storage.....

G

Gary Jensen

Had the tall rig

I had the tall rigged 36 Catalina on S.F. bay for six years (before moving up to the 380)... I absolutely swear by the 36 tall rig. With two reef points I could take advantage of many wind conditions. With the rigg being tall, I could catch more wind (when there was only light air). I raced on another Catalina 36. It is the standard rigged model. The front mounting for the jib is the same on both boats. The sail area difference is made up in the height of the sail (two feet). When racing on the standard rigged boat, we were very competitive. We were not in the same class as the J boats, Olsons etc. but as a cruiser/racer we were pretty competitive. I find that the 36 is handeled easily, competitive, comfortable, forgiving and probably the best buy (for the money) of ANY BOAT ON THE MARKET!

C

Chris Hyland

Dealer

Tom, The dealer said CATALINA didn't reccommend the tall rig for New England. Yes in the summer the winds can be light, but spring and fall winds can be fairly strong... This is my guess as to why. As far as I know the forestay is mounted the same on a standard and tall rig. The bow mounted anchor roller and anchor locker are the same on both boats as far as I know... Regards, Chris Hyland "Beau Jouet" C-36 Hull #1971

M

Michael McCann

Tall Rigs

The only two Catalina's that add a short sprit to the bow are the C27, and C30 tall rigs. If I had a choice I would get the tall mast. I currently have a C36 standard, don't race, just cruise, great boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.