Debating motors

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
After sitting on the fence for about two months, I had decided to go with a mercury 3.5hp long shaft motor for my Capri 18. The other strong contender was the 5hp. The 4 seems to make no sense, as it is exactly the same weight as the 5.

As I was about to lay the credit card down, I found out that the 3.5 doesn’t lock in place. So now I’m imagining myself trying to do some kind of crazy tiller-and-outboard-tango every time I fire it up. I’m considering some kind of connecting rod between the two, but it still seems inconvenient, especially since there is no reverse gear, so you have to turn the motor 180 degrees to achieve reverse (wait a second, let me unvelcro this connection rod!).

the 5hp is so dang heavy!

I guess they haven’t invented the perfect outboard.

I just need to go sailing.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
The Honda 2.3. Light. And the most dependable little motor ever. Bad gas old gas I honestly believe it will run on no gas one less thing to worry about

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I guess they haven’t invented the perfect outboard.

I just need to go sailing.
They did but the government banned the sale of the light and powerful small 2 stroke engines. There are still used 2 stroke engines in the market, in good condition, at fair prices, that were grandfathered in.

May 13, 2019
Allied Seawind MK II Fayetteville
The Honda 2.3. Light. And the most dependable little motor ever. Bad gas old gas I honestly believe it will run on no gas one less thing to worry about
Are you using the Honda 2.3 on your Capri 18? Any anecdotes about its performance?

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
John, I bought a 4 HP Tohatsu, long shaft, for about $1200 for my my 2003 C18. Weighs about 53 lbs. Forward, reverse, neutral. Has an integral gas tank and a connection for a remote gas tank. I have only used the integral tank so far. Purchased from Online Outboards which is in Tennessee. I think it's the perfect motor for the C18.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
@Ajay73 - thanks!

I ended up going with the 5hp propane “sailpro” version.

I thought 3.5 was plenty of horsepower, but no reverse gear made me nervous I was going to play bumper boats in a marina somewhere.

I thought about the 4, but it weighs exactly the same as the 5.

im not sure what good that tiny alternator will do me, typically I can go all year without running out of battery, I mostly just use it for the VFH and the AM/FM - I’ve always been surprised how many hours it lasts, but the alternator can’t hurt.

the larger prop supposedly is better for heavier boats, more control at low speed and more power in reverse.

not sure if any of that was worth the cost difference between the 4 and the 5, but so far I’m a satisfied customer.