DC Main on panel is dead

Nov 13, 2020
Hunter H34 Chesapeake Bay
I need some electrical troubleshooting help on my 1986 H34. When I got to the boat today I put the battery selector to #2 then turned the DC main and cabin lights on. About 15-30 minutes later DC main is off. Battery monitor showing 13.5 on both #1 and #2. I switched to #1 and was able to reset DC and turn cabin lights back on. About 15 minutes later DC main off again. It doesn't matter which battery I have selected, I do not get DC main on the panel. Batteries are at 13.5. I have power to the starter via the selector.

Where do I go from this point? I don't have much to go on from the Hunter manual.

Thanks much.

Nov 13, 2020
I should add that the DC main breaker doesn't appear to be tripping. The power simply disappears.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
When you say “the power disappears,” what is giving you that info? Are you using a multimeter to measure the current?

Nov 13, 2020
Yes I have a multimeter. I measured at the battery selector and the starter with each battery selected and get 13.5. It disappeared as in the breaker didn't trip. I can't figure out the power path to the panel.

The lights on the DC side of the panel went out and my cabin lights went out. My bilge pump float switch isn't working either.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sounds like it may be some sort of ground issue….you have 13.5v at the batteries, but no power at the panel.

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
You need to take a voltmeter and follow each battery wire from the battery to switch to panel, etc. It could be that the breaker switch has an internal flaw that opens the circuit without tripping.

Nov 13, 2020
Problem resolved. Someone on FB suggested spinning the battery selector a few times. Sure enough, that appears to have resolved it. The connection must have gotten a little wonky.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.