Daysailer stepped mast conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Pajak

I am looking for information on how to convert the standard 17' daysailer to a stepped mast configuration. That is, how to go about doing the project myself. Hardware? Cutting the mast? Fastening fixed portion into hull? Anyone have any experience? pajak@javanet.com

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Do you mean deck stepped to keel stepped

or do you mean keel stepped to deck stepped? Justin - O'day Owners' Web

B

Bob McGee

Im not sure what you mean ???

When you mentioned the phrase "cutting the mast" you got my attention. I have an O'Day Javelin, 1973 vintage, which one of the previous owners bought and installed the tabernacle kit. Whoever did the job of installation didn't "measure twice, cut once." The mast was cut at a curved angle, and he tried to compensate by hammering or otherwise bending the aluminum so both the tabernacle fittings would fit. The result was that the two screws on the mast eventually created enlarged holes presumably due to stress. He then trimmed a bit more off the mast to make it square resulting in a short mast which left the shrouds and forestay with entirely too much slack even with full turnbuckle. I had to cut another 2" off the mast and then fit a shim between the mast tabernacle plate and the "into-the-mast" fitting. The shim was simply a piece of hard wood, sculpted on a band saw to resemble the shape of the mast, finished, and drilled to accept the two bolts through the tabernacle (A real "duct-tape" kinda job, but it works.) Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.