Daysailer II rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larry Walter

I just purchased a 1972 Daysailer II. Everything about the boat is original and in good condition. The rudder has me stumped. Isn't the rudder supposed to pivot for shallow water operation? Mine is stuck in the fully 'down' position. There is only one bolt holding the metal blade into the wooden tiller assembly, and I was going to loosen that to try to free the rudder blade so it could swing. My previous boat had a line attached to the rudder blade so I could lower or raise the rudder, but my Daysailer ruddr doesn't have any lines attached. Am I missing something here? Thanks for the info.

R

Rod Johnson

DS II rudder

The stock DS rudder is a kick-up rudder, but the original rudder on all DAY SAILER IIs until about 1984 was a fiberglass unit. Both the upper section and the lower blade were fiberglass, joined by a pivot bolt that could be tightened with a wrench to provide friction to hold it down. These fiberglass rudders did not have any line to pull the blade up or down. Starting in about 1984 or 1985, O'Day switched to a different rudder that was made of a wooden blade pivoting in an aluminum upper section, the upper section was made of 2 aluminum plated seperated by spacers and the wooden tiller pivoted in the top of this section and the blade pivoted in the lower part of the section. There was a line to pull the blade down and hold it down on this rudder. This newer rudder used a single stainless steel fitting that formed both upper and lower gudgeons, mounted to the transom. The older fiberglass rudder used 2 seperate gudgeons on the transom. The fiberglass rudders had a wooden tiller that was notched out to fit over the top of the rudder and it pivoted on a bolt through the tiller and top of the rudder.

J

Justin -O'day Owners' Web

I bet its just stuck! Mine was

The rudder assemby on my DS1 has a fiberglass blade held by two aluminum plates with a bold. When I got it the rudder seemed permanently in the down position. I actually thought at first that it might not pivot. Pulling the bolt allowed me to know the blade out and remove the growth that had glued the pieces together. Pretty simple solution, at least for me. I'd try loosening the bolt, but make sure its not going anywhere. A good plan is to replace the nut with a nylon locking type so that you don't have the assmebly come undone on you. The fact that your blade is metal is strange. It may not be an original part or O'day replacement. If its homemade, it may not swing. Let us know what you find. Justin -O'day Owners' Web

Status
Not open for further replies.