Day three Okeechobee crossing

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is an exciting moment. You studied the charts, measured your height. Heard the promise that the bridge clearance height. Yet it is still a pit in your stomach moment. Will I clear.
There was a bit of joy in your voice “still in one piece!”
Noticed you did not back the throttle down. Go bold or stay home thinking?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Bridges always look close and high tension power lines even more so. I once motored up the St Joe river in Idaho in my C25 with my mother, brother and our family. It was the first time up the river for all of us but I knew that bigger sailboats had made the trip before me so my mast height would not be a problem. At one point there is a set of high tension lines crossing the river and my mom and wife were sure that we would hit them. I tried explaining that the two lowest wires are grounded "safety conductors" but they were not convinced.
As we were just passing the point where it looked like the mast would touch the first wire with all of us staring intently at the masthead, my brother reached over and squeezed my mom's knee with a loud "BZZZZZ!". Mum let out a screech and I thought we would need to pry her fingers of the overhead wires given the height she jumped.
Needless to say but me and my brother were in the doghouse with my wife for the rest of the day! :laugh:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You got to love brothers with a sense of humor.

Took my my brother in law for a 3 day cruise that included the Port Townsend Canal and it's bridge. Listed clearance 58 ft. Mast, freeboard and antenna 49 feet. Plenty of clearance... Yet there was a spring tide running full. So my guess was we have 5 or so clearance for sure... Maybe a bit more.

On approach I started to slow and talk about this bridge... And what happens if the mast comes down.. Brother in law started to get concerned... Laid down in the cockpit and started siting the bridge with his extended arm. So I started to slow down... creeping towards our doom... Then at the last minute I said what the hell and advanced full throttle. I thought he was going to jump over the side. Then I heard some new Midwestern cuss words...

Jan 20, 2019
O,Day 322 Fort Pierce
Lol yeah I had the wife going, I made her take the helm so I “could watch and make sure we didn’t hit” she always freaks out about the bridges

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Stick a cheap backup camera on the top of your mast. Make sure it is level. Everyone should be able to easily see how much you will miss by.