Day Sailer Self Bailer or Boom Tent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2012
Catalina C-30 Warwick, R.I.
Hi All,

I am finishing up a 2 year project re-building an 1960's 18ft Oday Daysailer and have completely overlooked a practical problem. It'll be on a mooring, in the spring, in new england which means it will be regularly filling with rain water. I'll be travelling for work thus unable to get to the boat and pump out the water after each storm.

Does anyone have any experience with boom tents, covers or intsalling self-bailers? I'm looking for a simple, practical, less expensive fix to this issue.

Thanks.

Jan 24, 2008
Alerion Express 28 Oneida Lake, NY
Hi…

I had an Oday Day Sailer II, which might be the successor to your model. She had a factory-installed DePersia self-bailer.

With the boat in the water, the bailer only worked if the boat was moving through the water; it would not allow water to drain out if the boat was docked or moored.

That problem aside, a cockpit boom tent would keep your boat dry AND CLEAN.

Paul

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You could check with www.sailorstailor.com to see if they make a mooring cover for the Daysailer. There are so many out there, and still a racing class, so I'm sure someone makes a mooring cover, rather than having to get a custom cover made.

Brian

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Do you have a DAY SAILER? or a Rhodes 19? O'Day didn't have an 18' Day Sailer. The Day Sailer is 16'9" long, the R19 is 19'2" and both are not self-bailing due to their deep cockpits.
In either case, a self-bailer will work great as a "self-filler" unless the boat is moving fast enough to suck the water out before it can flow in. There are various check-valve type scuppers available to prevent back-flow, but you would need a lot of rain water inside the boat to force the water out (water only flows downhill, so you would need water above the level of the boat's waterline before it will flow out.
I'd use either a cockpit cover or maybe an automatic bilge pump. The cover will be a good idea as it will keep the cockpit clean and drier, plus keep the sunlight off anything stowed in the cockpit.

Sailors Tailor makes several different versions of cockpit covers for the DS, maybe for the R19 as well. Any good local canvas shop can make a cover for you as well.

PS: There is an old (early 1960's) O'DAY DS I moored in Onset Harbor (Wareham, MA) that has never had a cockpit cover that I can see, no evidence of a bilge pump........ and I've never seen anyone aboard. Yet, year-round I have never seen her appear to have any water in the cockpit! Even after a heavy rain storm....... Maybe you need what ever that boat has?? Obviously SOMEONE bails her out........ but who or what??

Sep 13, 2012
Catalina C-30 Warwick, R.I.
Thanks for the input. It is the day sailer not the Rhodes I don't know why I always say 18 when people ask her size. I recently came across D&R Marine in Assonet MA. He's got a whole inventory of Oday parts and inventory that I wish knew about sooner. In any event he can put one together for about $400. There are some boom tents out there but I insist on staying local I can make sure they fit and do my part to keep knowledgable people in the industry gainfully employed.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
For a REAL treat, pay a visit to Rudy at D&R Marine on a Saturday morning! He will talk your ears off. We are very lucky to live close enough to visit, if for no other reason than saving postage..... and being able to bring in the broken parts that need replacement.

Dec 2, 2012
Pearson 39-2 New London
I had an O'Day 17 for 10 years on a mooring. It's a great, fun boat. I definitely recommend a boom tent/cockpit cover. It keeps the boat dry and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.