Day sailer II bailer restoration

Jun 19, 2015
ODay Day Sailor II Ship Bottom, NJ
The Persea Cockpit bailer in my 1975 DSII has been temperamental. I finally got the stopper out to see what's what and it's a corroded mess down there. I was willing to give up and replace with plastic version, but D&R says they are back ordered for unknown time.

From other sources I understand that Sunfish bailer is similar, but not identical. Can I buy one and modify?

If not, how can I jury-rig or refurbish current bailer to work? Ball is in place, but I imagine it would pop out with pressure from below. There are no rubber washers installed to either capture ball or reinsert sliding plunger.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Mark V

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Mark,
I'm still trying to find the pictures that I remember saving of a DePersia Bailer. Not sure where I had seen them (and saved them from), but somewhere I have those! Anyway, I think I had mentioned having some pictures and diagrams of the newer plastic bailer (modified SUNFISH unit) well, here they are, not sure if it will help, but..... In the mean time, I'll keep looking for my DePersia pictures and see if I can offer any ideas,

Attachments

Jun 19, 2015
Mark,
I'm still trying to find the pictures that I remember saving of a DePersia Bailer. Not sure where I had seen them (and saved them from), but somewhere I have those! Anyway, I think I had mentioned having some pictures and diagrams of the newer plastic bailer (modified SUNFISH unit) well, here they are, not sure if it will help, but..... In the mean time, I'll keep looking for my DePersia pictures and see if I can offer any ideas,
Thanks for follow up. Pictures not necessary. I've succeeded in getting "stopper" out, cleaning it up, finding new o-rings and adding some silicone lube. It seems a lot happier.

Removal of entire bailer from boat another option, but years of silicone seal and bottom paint makes this another easier said than done step, so that's gong to be plan B. I've also learned that there are actually 2 sunfish DePersia style bailers and the longer one will be long enough for an ODay Daysailor II, if it gets to that.

Right now, only missing piece is bronze flange washer that originally held it in place. Actually superfluous for the moment, but i like things to look neat and complete.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Mark, I know, pictures not necessary...........BUT, I recently acquired a treasure chest of O'DAY info (still sorting it!) and found this.....

DePersia Bailer.jpg

Jun 19, 2015
Mark, I know, pictures not necessary...........BUT, I recently acquired a treasure chest of O'DAY info (still sorting it!) and found this.....

View attachment 181564
Wow - That is beautiful!
I finally found the right nut to replace original from the interior. It was a 1" through hull fitting nut. The only thing I could not replace was the lower washer that retains the ball. I tried all sorts of o-rings without success. Somewhere i read that someone used a type of faucet or hose washer. Absence of this shouldn't be too much of a problem since I'll only be opening the bailer while sailing at moderate speed. If you happen to know what actually might fit, please let me know.
Again - Thanks for sharing this spectacular bit of history.
Mark