Davits you can walk under?

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
I know that the davit issue gets discussed a lot. Please bear with me...This discussion would mostly pertain to boats with an aft-cockpit rather than centre. We sail a Hunter 410 with a fibreglass arch.

The only reason we've been a little hesitant on davits is that we like to dock stern to. We board from the step through most times. Also I prefer backing into the slip most places as I find the sight lines clear and easier to judge than coming bow in when it's crowed.

The thought of having a dingy swinging at eye level, and not being able to use the step through at the dock has been a dis-incentive for getting davits. Does anyone know a davit brand that raises the dingy high enough up that it would work well with my step through access. The plan would be to mount solid solar above the davits.

Finally to avoid possible thread drift...No this isn't for offshore use, and no I don't want a system that flips the dingy 90' on it's side blocking the stern's step through.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
This won't help you but on our 44DS we have the Hunter OEM davits and I am able to hoist the dinghy high enough to board under. However, and this is really the point of my post, in order to embark or disembark, the dinghy up in the davits almost completely blocks the dock from people walking past. So, when we ship the dinghy we board from the port side as we must position the boat in such a way that the dinghy doesn't block the dock to passers by. At that point the stern is maybe 3-4 ft away from the dock.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A good set of davits aren't cheap, so for something near the cost of production davits you could probably have a set built to your specifications, and have a place to mount a solar array to boot. Problem is, hanging any weight that far aft will definitely change your boat's sailing characteristics. Is that something you can live with?

Jul 7, 2012
Hunter 36 Des Moines, WA
You might want to check out http://www.katomarine.com/index.html, they have an Island model that I have been considering. What I liked about this one is how they mount. You can swing them in or out when you want to stern into a slip, without the dingy on of course, because the base mount allows them to pivot. I haven't added Davits yet myself, but if/when I do these were at the top of my list.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@lurker the idea of davits appears to be simplified lifting of a dinghy while leaving and arriving at anchorage. With out hanging you dinghy (like a pendulum) high in the air you might want to consider how and when you use the dinghy and the need of davits.

Once at anchor the dinghy would be in the water. If the voyage was going to be long you likely would not want the dinghy hanging off the stern. Negative pendulum effect on cruising. It would be better tied down on the boat or trailing on a painter.

This might also be the case if you are going to use a Marina. Dinghy stored on deck while backed into the slip. Permits easy access over the stern.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Check out the Atlantic Towers Arch in a Box kit. This would allow the highest, most secure davit system plus some space to mount things like radar, solar, etc.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Once at anchor the dinghy would be in the water.
Actually, our dink spends almost all it's time in an anchorage on the davits. We haven't had to wash the bottom of the Zodiac in 6 years and it's secure and cannot be stolen from the davits. When we want to use it we drop it in the water, which takes just a few minutes and immediately when finished with it, most often it goes right back up, another 3 or 4 minutes. I wouldn't trade those few minutes of daviting for beaching the dink, removing the 15 hp outboard, cleaning the bottom and reassembling it all, every few months.
We spent a grand this summer rebuilding our davits so we can interisland sail with the dink on the davits, but still put it on the foredeck for passages.
Just as an aside, we NEVER tow the dink, never. It is just too valuable to us to ever take a chance of it getting lost or damaged while being towed.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
With high-freeboard on a Hunter 410 the last thing I would be wanting to do is swing a dinghy high enough to walk under. Better to find some way to board the boat through a lifeline gate keep the davits low. Looks better too.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
What about a back up camera? I trawler owner I know add one because boats kept sneaking up behind him and he couldnt see them from his steering station. Problem solved.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Searching for Hunter 410 blogs, I found this that may do the trick. I also like the look of the Atlantic towers stuff. Just mapping out the winter projects for completion by April. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I never wanted Davits because I always back in to my slip at the marina but I moved to
a private dock behind house and used getting off the sides port or starboard.
But towing the dinghy was always a problem when going back to the slip and saw a lot of other friends with Davits and it looked so nice and easy and even kept the motor on when on the Davits and we do mostly anchoring when cruising and so got the Davits and best thing ever
and so easy with deporting dinghy in 5 minutes and usually pull the dinghy up part way out of the water secure no worries sleeping at night tilted in case of rain so water can drain out.
Davits have made my life so easy with less handling the motor off and on and do sail with dinghy and motor on the Davits.
Best thing ever that and solar panels up off my arch over my Bimini.
213CCA0C-E85F-49D6-931A-F54816FAAF4C.jpeg

Nick

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I think you will need to reconsider side boarding at the dock. I dont think there is any way to get all of what you want so a compromise is necessary. With stern to, even short finger piers will be accessible from your side boarding gate. I usually go bow in and have to climb over the lifeline to the finger pier, so you are one up there!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
With dinghy on Davits and going into a marina I go bow in and most marina’s have long side docks and find it way easy to get off the boat from helm.
With tied changes at a marina it is not always easy to get off from walk through sterns on a level dock.
Nick