Davits for Hunter 38

Oct 19, 2019
Hunter 38 Youngstown
Hello all. I have just purchased (subject to a survey) a 2006 Hunter 38, and I am interested in installing dinghy davits on it.
The ideal davits system would hang off the arch, but I am open to davits that are mounted on the deck/transom.
Recommendations?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Don’t have a hunter, but I got Martek Davits and am very happy with them

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Check out Garhauser. They offer all kinds of high quality hardware at reasonable prices. I have their HD davits (1.25" tubes) and have been completely happy.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Suggest you search the archives for davit.
you will find your question on which brand is recommended has been asked many times and you’ll also find that there as Many opinions on that as there are posters. There are maybe 4 or 5 brands that repeatedly get recommended. Everyone’s favorite tends to be the one they happen to own.

welcome to 38 ownership. We have a 2008 that we bought new. Great boat. Has a few unique aspects to get used to but we’ve enjoyed ours immensely

Oct 19, 2019
Hunter 38 Youngstown
Thanks for the replies. I did search but I’m looking for current opinions as these things can change. Garhauer and Ocean Marine both have nice offerings but it didn’t look like they mounted on the arch. Hunter Owners Store has what I want but at twice the cost. Is Hunter’s Owner Store legit? It looks legit but I thought Hunter went out of business. I hope to have 400 watts of solar installed this winter, Charging 300 AH of lithium batteries,, and the Davits are an obvious potential solution for mounting panels. Would appreciate any comments from those who have undertaken solar to supply 100 or more amp/hrs/day.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Is Hunter’s Owner Store legit?

Not only are they legit they are downright terrific and a go to source. If you are ever trying to match OEM components on the boat they are the guys to talk to. Some of them used to work for Hunter.
Here is the link to the Hunter 38 specific parts section of the site. Hunter 38 Parts
if you don’t see a part you are looking for contact them and it’s highly likely they will be able to find it for you.

If your purchase goes through and you find you have questions specific to the boat drop me a message. I‘m happy to try to help and share what I’ve learned.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019
Hunter 38 Youngstown
Thank you quadrille! Very kind of you.
I am, as you might guess, beyond excited. I live in Idaho but will be sailing the boat out of my little home port in upstate NY.
This will seem a long, cold winter until the boat can be launched and I can start figuring her out. I'm buying her without so much as a test sail, but I'm pretty sure she'll be a joy to sail nonetheless.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Atlantic Towers, Garhauer, Martek, ocean marine, Kato, Forespar Nova, Edson Marine, St Croix, sailboatowners and others make or supply them. None attach to the arch but can be supported off it. That is what I did on my 2004 Hunter 386 when I installed Garhauer davits, which are very cost competitive. You might consider whether you will be satisfied with 304 stainless steel or pay more for 316 stainless steel.

I am planning to install Atlantic Towers on my Hunter 46 to stow the dinghy high on the stern.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thank you quadrille! Very kind of you.
I am, as you might guess, beyond excited. I live in Idaho but will be sailing the boat out of my little home port in upstate NY.
This will seem a long, cold winter until the boat can be launched and I can start figuring her out. I'm buying her without so much as a test sail, but I'm pretty sure she'll be a joy to sail nonetheless.
oh I’m sure. We just put ours away for the winter and it feels too long already.
This year my boat present was a new winter cover. The old one lasted 10 years and had begun to rip. New cover was made and she’s snug and secure for the LOOOONG winter.

Attachments

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I looked at and got quotes from Martek, Kato, and Garhauer for davits for my Hunter 410 last year, and ended up going with Garhauer. I installed a 60+ lb. 360 watt solar panel on top (Garhauer fabricated the panel mounting frame as well!) and have been very happy with the whole setup. The davits worked great with my Achilles 9' 6" dinghy with 6 hp Yamaha during our cruise last fall/winter down the coast and over to the Bahamas. What I really love is that the Garhauer davits are tall enough that they don't interfere with the walk-through transom on my boat if the dink is in the water or on the foredeck.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
If you want your dingy to sit high and want it welded to the arch, can't do any better than this. This is a Wells arch.

Attachments