Davits and Solar Panels

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I looked at davits from Martek, Kato, and Garhauer- ended up going with Garhauer and couldn't be more pleased with them. Their standard height was perfect for maintaining the "walk-through" aspect of the stern, and they were also able to provide the cross-bar for mounting the forward edge of the solar panel (340 watt from Arizona Wind and Sun) once I gave them the measurement between installed davits.
IMG_0020.JPG

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 410 Port Washington NY
Hi Rich
Thanks for your prompt reply.

My concern with your configuration is the vision toward the stern with the dinghy on the davits.

I am hoping to have the dinghy hang about even with the stern pulpit rails. To be able to see over solar panels and yet be able to board underneath over the "swim platform".

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Hi Rich
Thanks for your prompt reply.

My concern with your configuration is the vision toward the stern with the dinghy on the davits.

I am hoping to have the dinghy hang about even with the stern pulpit rails. To be able to see over solar panels and yet be able to board underneath over the "swim platform".
The dinghy is normally snugged up to the underside of the davit arms and secured so that it cannot move and chafe. With the dinghy and davits that low (at the pulpit) I doubt that you would have enough room to enter under the dinghy. My dinghy is just a bit higher and it is a difficult struggle to board from underneath. Furthermore your dinghy would like to be tipped toward the drain for rain water drainage and that tipped position doesn't help visibility.

I think your only choice is to mount the davits and dinghy fairly low so you can see easily over the top. But you will need to give up the ability to enter the cockpit from below the dinghy.

I have a h40.5 so it is a bit different than your 410, but her is a view to the stern with my dinghy in place.

2009_0618_120115AA.JPG

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have a 9’ hard bottom dinghy with 4 hp 4 stroke and like keeping the motor on the dinghy while sailing and cruising so I put
2 solar panels off the arch and ran 2 round tubing from arch back towards stern and did that in 2010.

Attachments

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
You're welcome, although somehow I believe you were confusing my reply and photo with Rich's. Here's a link to one of the videos I made during my Bahamas trip in 2018/19, which does a pretty good job of showing the visibility astern with my Achilles dinghy hanging in the davits. My davits appear to be a bit taller than Rich's as well, but you still have to crawl to get under the dinghy when it's in the davits. When at anchor, the dinghy is usually in the water during the day, but it lives on the foredeck whenever we're in a marina for any length of time. Here's the link, and best wishes with your new 410 :

Jan 22, 2008
Hi Bob

Thanks for the most informative video.

This puts forth a whole new potential solution. I too stow the dinghy on the fore-deck for passages. My primary purpose is for supporting the solar panels.

Whose davits are they? What model and height? Do you have a photo of the stern showing the base mounting points? Did you have cup holders on the pulpit seats? If so did you have to remove them?

Thanks again

Mark

Dec 8, 2020
hunter 376 San Diego
Hi guys. I am also getting davots for my Achilles. Looking at Garhauer for my H 376. Bob. How far off the deck does your Davit make the turn out. Did you have do fiberglass work to strengthen the attachment point. Thanks

Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
This local company (BC) - Ocean Marine Systems - has made davits to fit Hunter's for years and were great to deal with. I bought a motorcrane from them after looking hard at their davits, then deciding I didn't want the dinghy obstructing the rear of my H38. They deal regularly all over North America.

Jan 22, 2008
Bob

After thinking some more about the position of the solar panels I am wondering about the space between the arch and the panels. Is the gap wide enough for a person to stand between the 2 to fasten the main sail cover? We have a traditional cover not a stack pack.

Mark

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Hi Bob

Thanks for the most informative video.

This puts forth a whole new potential solution. I too stow the dinghy on the fore-deck for passages. My primary purpose is for supporting the solar panels.

Whose davits are they? What model and height? Do you have a photo of the stern showing the base mounting points? Did you have cup holders on the pulpit seats? If so did you have to remove them?

Thanks again

Mark
Sorry for the delayed response (I was not getting notifications for this thread). My davits are from Garhauer, and measure 66" tall at the mounting upright and about 9" taller on the outside. My first post photo shows how the feet are mounted, and yes, I did have to remove the cup holders from the stern rail seats (haven't missed them a bit). Garhauer supplied backing plates for the base mounts, and I did not have to do any reinforcement for the fiberglass there. They also supplied two support struts which I still haven't gotten around to mounting...

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Bob

After thinking some more about the position of the solar panels I am wondering about the space between the arch and the panels. Is the gap wide enough for a person to stand between the 2 to fasten the main sail cover? We have a traditional cover not a stack pack.

Mark
I recently installed a couple of flexible solar panels on the aft end of the bimini, and was able to squeeze between the davit-mounted panel and the arch while installing them.

Jan 22, 2008
Bob

Why did you go for the flexible solar panels on the Bimini instead of solid panels on the davits?
Mark

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Mark,
I still have the single 340 watt solid frame solar panel on the davits. I added two additional flexible 100 watt solar panels to my bimini top to upgrade total solar capacity to 540 watts.

Dec 8, 2020
hunter 376 San Diego
So I’ve decided on Garhauer but having trouble deciding on the height. Rich’s davots look to be 2 1/2 or so feet lower than Bob’s. What are pros and cons of each height. I will also be adding solar on top of davots

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I went with Garhauer's tallest standard davits in order to maintain the ability to walk under them when the boat is stern-in at a slip (again, the dinghy lives on the foredeck when in a slip or during ocean passages). I found my notes from 2018 when I was working on the davit project:
I dealt initially with rob@garhauerstore.com and then with Mark. Ph. #909-985-7513

Dec 8, 2020
hunter 376 San Diego
Thanks Bob. So I guess the width between davots is going to be a result of deciding where best to attach the feet. I am thinking of having them made somewhere in the middle, a little higher than Rich’s and a little lower than yours. Any thoughts? Thanks again

Dec 8, 2020
hunter 376 San Diego
It’s me again. Bob, the vertical strut that comes off the forward part of your davot to level off the install of your solar panel. Was that custom welded. Also, your water and diesel jugs, how are they secured ? I’ve seen some images where there is some kind of board attached. Then jugs are attached to it , I guess with bungees? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I think Garhauer has a couple of standard sizes, with mine being the tallest at 66" with 42" arm length. A I mentioned earlier in this thread, once I had installed the uprights, I measured the distance between them. Garhauer then supplied a raised crossbar that clamps onto the forward edge of the davits, giving a mounting surface for the forward edge of the solar panel and allowing it to be flat. I used four Gemini mounts that I found for about $25 ea. online (I think from eMarine.com) for mounting the panel.
For the jerry jugs, I bought an 8' x 4" piece of Starboard from Lowes and mounted it to a couple of the stantions with stainless u-bolts. A piece of webbing wrapped through the jug handles and tied off on either end kept the jugs in place.