Dark side??

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you ever feel the need to move to a powerboat, what would you do? Lots of options.

Pogo has an idea, a motorboat that ACTS like a sailboat. Same speed (ok pogo speed), form factor, autonomy, etc. Very similar sensations but a powerboat. Huh.

What do you think?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I think it is just as beautiful as a Pogo sailboat. ;) I have never cared for the looks of the new generation of racer/cruiser sport boats. Bene had had power boats for a while but the best looking of the type are the Hinkley's. Hinkley Motor Yacht

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Something in between the two, please? Loxo 32 specs with a warmer finish? Or, maybe a more economical Hinkley?
I don't need, or want, 600 - 900 HP or 500 ga. fuel capacity (or fuel bill). Maybe... a reasonable argument could be made for a decent cruising speed, but I'm still looking for a regional cruising boat and would rather have the scales tipped more toward fuel efficiency than speed. Is hull speed really hull speed, only to be overcome by massive amounts of horsepower? The very first boat that we took out for a long weekend was a 30 ft. trailerable catamaran with two 40 HP outboards. It had a cruising speed of about 15 kts., and we had a great time in the San Juans, and spent very little on fuel.

Nov 8, 2010
Yea. The Loxo was designed to 'feel' like a sailboat. Its 10-12 knot cruise speed. Long endurance based on consumption. The way the handles. The sight-lines. The motion in a seaway.

Nov 8, 2010
I think it is just as beautiful as a Pogo sailboat. ;) I have never cared for the looks of the new generation of racer/cruiser sport boats. Bene had had power boats for a while but the best looking of the type are the Hinkley's. Hinkley Motor Yacht
I LOVE that Hink. But as a sailor, nothing about it rings true.

Nov 21, 2007
That's all fine. Cruising at 10 - 12 knots in this area (OK, 10 - 15 kts.) would be perfect. The biggest problem that I would expect, is that it's so light, that it would be really uncomfortable at anchor or on a mooring buoy (which make up a lot of our destinations in this area).

Nov 8, 2010
That's all fine. Cruising at 10 - 12 knots in this area (OK, 10 - 15 kts.) would be perfect. The biggest problem that I would expect, is that it's so light, that it would be really uncomfortable at anchor or on a mooring buoy (which make up a lot of our destinations in this area).
interesting. without a keel, wonder how it is at anchor.

Nov 21, 2007
I LOVE that Hink. But as a sailor, nothing about it rings true.
Following the link (Hinkley Motor Yacht), I just love the below deck accommodations! But, does it have to be a 55 foot yacht to get that? The biggest objection that I have to any cruising power boat less than about 40 - 45 feet, is that there is no separation between the living space and the helm. I don't mind spending hours on end at the helm, but when I arrive at my destination, I don't want to be confined to that same space... I want to be able to go somewhere else.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have gotten to captain a couple of MJM yachts. They look like the Hinkley boats but are actually better in my opinion. One was a 46 footer with 3 outboards. It was nice, easy to handle and nicely later out.

The 56 however was magnificent. It had 3 450 turbo diesels powering volvo pods. Joystick driving at low and high speed. It was awesome. It could cruise at over 25 knots and had a 400 mile range. I picked that up in the Dominican Republic and took it to St. Thomas to get on a transport ship. Only one fuel stop and one day (24 hours) to make the 450 nm trip. Docking and loading it onto the transport ship was so easy.

But I don't think I will ever have a couple of million for a boat. They do make them down to 29 feet some maybe one of the smaller ones when the time comes.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
IMHO, the only reason to own a stinkpot is to get from A to B quicker. This doesn't fit the bill. I would look elsewhere. But that's me.

Aug 14, 2019
Tartan 34c Toms River
Most of my life I’ve been a power sport fishing guy. I switched over to sail about 20 years ago when I was 50, and enjoy it immensely for relaxation actually. But as I’m getting older I find it to be more strenuous and foresee a single screw trawler in the future.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you ever feel the need to move to a powerboat, what would you do? Lots of options.

Pogo has an idea, a motorboat that ACTS like a sailboat. Same speed (ok pogo speed), form factor, autonomy, etc. Very similar sensations but a powerboat. Huh.

What do you think?
I bet I start seeing them as tenders on the big motor yachts.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Looks like it would be an interesting boat for a trip like the Great Loop, if it’s large enough for one’s taste. No mast to deal with under bridges, shallow draft for the thin parts of the ICW, good fuel economy, and not too slow. That’s a pretty niche market though.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Since it would have to be a liveaboard that got more than 1.5 miles per gallon, I'm kind of restricted in my choices. If I had the money to repower, then the Gardener engine would give me that, but if not, I'm probably looking at converting or finding a converted ex-fishing vessel. But, if we do go to power, it's going to be a lot smaller and if anyone wants to visit, their bunk would be a jackknife couch in the salon.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I like the approach Pogo has taken to boat design. I had no idea they made power boats but this one seems to fit the Pogo style quite well. I'm not there yet but I can see the appeal.
Here is another take on light weight, very efficient power boating, just a bit more traditional.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
She comes in electric with a 60 nm range. She's a good looking boat and I like power boats as much as the next guy, but I don't see the sailboat in her. Besides the quiet beauty of using the wind to drive a well designed sailboat, I love the idea of long range cruising and the sense of self-sufficiency that a sail provides.

I suspect that without a keel and mast that shallow flat bottom draft, you feel the waves. I'd go fishing on her, but probably not the ideal world cruiser. However, that's not what she was designed for. She's a €150,000 moderately fast weekender. And yes, she'd make a nice tender for a mega-yacht.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 21, 2007
... Besides the quiet beauty of using the wind to drive a well designed sailboat, I love the idea of long range cruising and the sense of self-sufficiency that a sail provides.
-Will (Dragonfly)
Love that! And I completely agree, even if the best that I ever manage to accomplish is a series of linked daysails... I can dream of being self-sufficient.