Damprid --- Does it work?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I've put it in my cabin over the winter for the last few years. It's always hard as a rock in the spring so I guess it absorbs some moisture. But does it really make a difference?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
if it gets hard without melting away, then it either is not working or there is no moisture present...

another product is DRI-Z-AIR... ive used it and it does work, but in a marine enviroment it has little effect in an open space such as a boat cabin, unless it is used in abundance due to the extreme moist air.

you will have much better results when the absorbent is used in a confined space such as a closet or storage area... the problems arise when the absorbed water and chemical gets spilled.

proper ventilation is a much better way to control moisture, than is either heat or chemicals. if you have the proper ventilation, heat will help, but heat without ventilation is only a mold and mildew breeding ground...

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
What's your opinion of a DIY dehumidifier? I've read using calcium chloride (Ice Melt) will naturally remove moisture. Lots of people use it in crawl spaces as a passive dehumidifier.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5317871_make-own-dehumidifier.html

I don't like the one shown but was going to do a smaller version and use kitty litter or Speady-Dry in the bottom bucket to absorb any captured liquids.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
What's your opinion of a DIY dehumidifier? I've read using calcium chloride (Ice Melt) will naturally remove moisture. Lots of people use it in crawl spaces as a passive dehumidifier.
I used that effectively in an old trailer I had to store. Worked as well as those expensive packets and you could by it inexpensively in big bags. The downside to all this stuff is that the condensate is a very corrosive liquid. Make sure it stays contained. The CaCl absorbs the water in the air and drips into the bucket.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
So what are we looking at for volume/pound. I used a 5 gallon bucket about half full of CaCl and had nearly all saturated by the end of winter. I think breathing in the cabin raises the humidity level when its cold very quickly. We're using Kanberra and Damp-rid this winter.

All U Get

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I always use solar powered fans for positive ventilation and in 14 years had no moisture problems.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I've never had moisture problems. I was just wondering if I was wasting my money on snake oil.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack

My cover keeps OUT the snow But allows plenty of fresh air

and plenty of project room with standing height