Damper plate.

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
Sorry to have to ask about this, I've looked at all the previous great transmission and damper plate threads but I'm still confused about the replacement damper plate. Can anybody confirm based on my photos of the transmission (Hurth ZF) and damper plate (no springs, plastic) what I need. Is it the Sachs 1866-061-001? Of so, who sells it? Catalina Direct sell one that looks just like it but how do I be sure?
Do I need more information?
The old one was really loose, which I
expected based on the infamous "death rattle".
Thanks to all.

Attachments

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
You have an R&D damper plate on your boat:

If you want another R&D, you can get it from PYI, Inc:

Call them first and discuss as there are 3 types. On our 350 (has a westerbeke m35b engine and zf 15 ma transmission) I used one of their high deflection damper plates and have been very happy with it. This one replaced a standard R&D damper plate that was stock on the boat. The R&D damper plate will cost less than the spring type you pictured.

You may want to check the owner's association forum and web site for your model boat and see what type damper plate others there are using. For the 350, the R&D high deflection dampers seem to be the way to go.

Feb 20, 2013
Catalina 310 Channel Islands Harbor
Hi Mike,

That is the correct damper plate. I just installed that one last month. I bought it from Fred Warner. I was having big vibration and transmission slipping when going into forward. I ended up going with the ZF12 trans, also from Fred Warner. Also replaced engine mounts due to there age. Things are much better now. Lots of info on the subject here, after reading all I went with the Sachs plate.

Two items that helped when going back together was getting the engine mounts installed correctly and adjusting the idle speed up. For the mounts take a look at page 56 of our owners manual. I ended up shimming the fwd mounts up a half inch to get them installed per the book.
Also Westerbeke service bulletin #236 for the idle speed, I had to go to 1150 rpm to get it smooth.

Jeff

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Also Westerbeke service bulletin #236 for the idle speed, I had to go to 1150 rpm to get it smooth.
Good call on the idle speed. My manual calls for 1150-1250 idle speed. This is essential for smooth operation. My surveyor when I bought my boat thought the 1200 RPM was way too high, and suggested I adjust it to 900 or less. After I adjusted the RPM to 900, the engine vibrated excessively and promptly broke the HX mounts. I have had many people, including C310 owners question this setting, but the engine runs better and the transmission shifts smoothly at the correct idle setting.

Feb 9, 2005
Hi Mike,

That is the correct damper plate. I just installed that one last month. I bought it from Fred Warner. I was having big vibration and transmission slipping when going into forward. I ended up going with the ZF12 trans, also from Fred Warner. Also replaced engine mounts due to there age. Things are much better now. Lots of info on the subject here, after reading all I went with the Sachs plate.

Two items that helped when going back together was getting the engine mounts installed correctly and adjusting the idle speed up. For the mounts take a look at page 56 of our owners manual. I ended up shimming the fwd mounts up a half inch to get them installed per the book.

Jeff
Thank you all for your help. I have ordered the Sachs from Fred Warner. My transmission has not been a problem with 1700 hrs on. Should I have it checked (serviced) while it’s out? Jeff, did you get OEM engine mounts.. I saw them on Catalina Direct for $270 each !!! Did you find anything better. Thanks again,
Mike

Feb 20, 2013
Hi Mike,
Yes, definitely give it a good fluid change while it is out. As it is way to difficult to get to the drain plug when installed. That is about the only thing you can do to it. You are one of the lucky ones to get so much life out of it.

The original mounts have been highly recommended from some good sources. I went with R&D mounts from PYI that ended up being half the price. Part # 800-062, so far so good. The important thing is the shimming and getting the the motor to sit low on the mounts.
Jeff

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
The R&D mounts, did they have the same hole pattern as the originals?
Cheers
dj

Feb 9, 2005
Hi Mike,
Yes, definitely give it a good fluid change while it is out. As it is way to difficult to get to the drain plug when installed. That is about the only thing you can do to it. You are one of the lucky ones to get so much life out of it.

The original mounts have been highly recommended from some good sources. I went with R&D mounts from PYI that ended up being half the price. Part # 800-062, so far so good. The important thing is the shimming and getting the the motor to sit low on the mounts.
Jeff
Thanks Jeff, since everything is out already, I've decided to bite the bullet and replace the transmission and the engine mounts since it's twenty years old and going on 2000 hrs and it sounds like I got more than my money's worth out of it. It looks like Catalina Direct recommend the 12M as a direct replacement. I will search the threads for more info on that.
Did the R&D mounts from PYI fit right in the existing holes, with no drilling required?
thanks again,
Mike

Feb 20, 2013
Yes, those mounts from R&D are a direct replacement, no modification required. They have 5" bolt spacing and a 5/8" stud. I went with the 12M transmission. Watch the gear ratios on this transmission, the 2.1 is closet to the original and I couldn't tell the difference. The 12M is the best option, it is rated for a lot more horse power then our engines can produce. It is a little bigger but it will fit. May require a little trimming of the fiberglass underneath the aft end to get the alignment perfect. I also had to make a new bracket to hold the shift cable, not a big deal. I have almost twenty hours on it now.

Good call on going with new parts, 20 years is a good life.

Jeff