Dacron Sails - What's the deal?

Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
I've been trying to sell a couple Fantastic Condition Dacron Head Sails for awhile with zero interest. Is everyone only looking for plastic sails now or are they afraid of what's wrong with practically new sails at half price? I'm serious. What's the deal?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
First, your target market is for Catalina 30's (I am assuming you're set-up roller furling). You need to go to those boats first. Then you might find out what other boats have the same effective measurements. That's your secondary market.

It's not a. Huge market, but

Feb 7, 2010
First, your target market is for Catalina 30's (I am assuming you're set-up roller furling). You need to go to those boats first. Then you might find out what other boats have the same effective measurements. That's your secondary market.

It's not a. Huge market, but
Sorry I needed to update my Avatar and have. I'm a Capri 22 owner now.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I've been trying to sell a couple Fantastic Condition Dacron Head Sails for awhile with zero interest. Is everyone only looking for plastic sails now or are they afraid of what's wrong with practically new sails at half price? I'm serious. What's the deal?
Your question probably nailed the likely reasons. (BTW Dacron is plastic, too).

Jul 28, 2016
Well, assuming you are talking Capri 22 sails, may I ask what price you are looking to get for your sails? In my experience, used sails, regardless of age, rarely fetch more than 40% of the cost of new. I know that's not a "fair" price for a sail that's been used 3 times, but you also must take into account that when it comes to used sails, your definition of "practically new" and someone else's may be far different.

Serious racers are likely looking for mylar tri-radials or even string sails and aren't interested in Dacron. If you have a Dacron headsail from a premium loft (i.e. Ullman) you might have $1200 in a Dacron sail. When you look at what some of the off-shore suppliers (like Precision or FX Sails) will likely sell you one for $800. Suddenly, $600 doesn't look like a real bargain for a used sail. You must take this into account.

You may find a wider audience for your sails on eBay. I have had great luck selling sails there. I am often surprised by how much sails go for in an auction. Good luck selling!

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
It's winter!
It's hard to sell a motorcycle or boat in winter.
I know you are talking about sails, but wait till spring rolls around.
BTW how long is a while?
gary

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
That sounds even more like a sales pitch than the original post. Did you guys notice the little banner in the page?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Yeah, this thread is treading just over the line of sales pitch.

I will leave it here but please be mindful that we do NOT permit advertisements in the forums, either for new or used sails. Thanks!

Feb 7, 2010
Well, assuming you are talking Capri 22 sails, may I ask what price you are looking to get for your sails? In my experience, used sails, regardless of age, rarely fetch more than 40% of the cost of new. I know that's not a "fair" price for a sail that's been used 3 times, but you also must take into account that when it comes to used sails, your definition of "practically new" and someone else's may be far different.

Serious racers are likely looking for mylar tri-radials or even string sails and aren't interested in Dacron. If you have a Dacron headsail from a premium loft (i.e. Ullman) you might have $1200 in a Dacron sail. When you look at what some of the off-shore suppliers (like Precision or FX Sails) will likely sell you one for $800. Suddenly, $600 doesn't look like a real bargain for a used sail. You must take this into account.

You may find a wider audience for your sails on eBay. I have had great luck selling sails there. I am often surprised by how much sails go for in an auction. Good luck selling!
Thanks delling ,your comments are very helpful. Painful, but make absolute sense. I'll go for a Plan B.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
How about the value of brand new factory sails that were never used? Is there a market for them?

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
@Windy City - where are your sails listed? It may help if you provide a link to them. If that is illegal here please PM me with a link.