Cutting new aft hatches

Sep 9, 2004
I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this one.
I'm considering cutting small "hatches" into the deck on the stern, between the rail and the lazarette box. They'd have to be small, no more than 8 to 10 inches to avoid cutting into the supports, and I'd have to install some vertical dividers below to keep stuff from sliding forward, but it seems like a way to use some of the open space.
My only concern is whether it would weaken the deck too much.

In addition to storage, I'm also considering installing a fan that would exhaust engine heat through the cowl and the hatches would help with the installation.
Dave Richardson

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Dave, I've been thinking of doing the same thing.

One of the reasons is this area of my deck is alittle softer. There is no way to reinforce it. Unless you cut access hatches. Then it may be easier. The framework that will support the hatch may be easily extended aft to the stern and maybe forward as well.

At any rate, the extra space would be nice, there is quite a lot that I can't get to. I was thinking I would want them nearly flush, not sure if something manufactured would work or would I build them.

Ultimately, I want to replace my CNG set up(too expensive, 50/bottle, we use severa every season here in Maine) and this area may help with propane installation.

Maybe someone has done this? Surveyors tend to frown on something like this with alot of glass boats as they have cores and this just opens up areas for rot. Not a problem with Challengers solid glass deck.