Cutting memory foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Anyone got suggestions on how to cut memory foam and have it look nice where the cut was?....razor,kitchen knife,saber saw,plasma cutter :confused:
I got a huge piece (king size) from a friend and want to cut it to the same shape as my aft cabin berth and the last time I tried to cut foam with a razor it came out looking like s..t

cptrtk

Jul 4, 2006
Catalina C28 Lake Erie
They say an electric carving knife works on regular foam. You might give it a try on a corner or an area your are going to discard anyways.

Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
We jest made new cushion and we used a electric knife to cut the foam. It worked great; with nice cuts

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
the other way

Lay a board down along the line of the cut. Get the first mate to stand on the board and compress the foam, run a uilitiy knife along the edge of the board. Curves can be accomplished by thinking of the curve as many small straight cuts. you will cut up the surface under the foam so plan accordingly.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
use a band saw with a 10 tooth blade...lay out the cuts you want with a sharpie and then follow the line...it will turn out nice....good luck

regards

woody

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Helps if you can cool or freeze the foam, as it will be far easier to cut.

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
I use an electric carving knife too. I learned that trick from an upholsterer. Sometimes you can find them at thrift shops for a few bucks.

Dave

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I prefer to make a dark line with a sharpie, cut with a long razor blade outside the line and then use a stationary 10" circular sander with a table and that helps to keep the edges square. I use a 7" circular sander with 80 grit on the weird multianglar curves. I have to make some pads for the equipment I build, but I have the pros sew the upholstery.
I guess you use whatever you have available that will do the trick.
I have a plasma cutter. I will give that a try to see how it works out. :)

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Thanks for all the replys.....the hot knife that Frank recommended looks good and not that expensive but I'll probably use it once so after a look on EBay it seems to help the economy there's a lot of people getting rid of there electric knifes that are available from 5 to 25 dollars and I'll reuse it every turkey day.

Status
Not open for further replies.